Chief manifold seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief manifold seal

I have installed one new cylinder intake nipple, i have a new manifold , and new brass seal rings. Looking over the whole thing it appears the seal takes place on the flat end of the brass ring,, against the cylinder nipple, and the bevel in the nut, against the brass ring bevel... Or does the seal happen when the brass ring is squeezed tight on the manifold? Like the gas line Ferrell's? Stan

Yes, Stan!

It needs to seal both where the flat face butts up against the inlet nipple, but it must also seal upon the manifold spigot by arching up in the middle (which is why original brass ferrules were so thin), and sacrificially crimping upon the bevel from the force of the nut.

Beware modern brass is pretty hard.

Forgive me but I must ask: The new nipple passed the bubble-test?

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I haven't leak checked the nipple. I am waiting for the manifold to be installed. I tightened the nuts real tight, It didn't seam to squash the rings. The rings didn't fit real tight either. The parts came from Jerry Greers, the should be correct.. I guess I could anneal my old ones.. the nipple I removed was pitted very bad, I am sure that was my hard starting problem.. I don't know why I didn't do something about it 25 years ago when I rebuilt my motor. Don't know what I was thinking back then. Stan

Comment

The nipple should be tested separately, Stan!

When the manifold is installed, the nuts often cover the seam between the nipple and the cylinder casting; If bubbles are produced, you won't know if it is the seal or the nipple that is leaking.

I gave up on brass twenty years ago.

.....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
        X