Throttle twist lube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle twist lube?

Just had my '46 Chief out today for the first time. I've rode it around the yard, but today I got my registration & tag and was able to actually go "down the road". Anyway, the throttle (Left hand throttle) is binding a bit. You can feel the "binding" at the TWIST. How do these come apart to lube or grease them? White grease? OR regular grease? I've done this on my Harley VL, but not sure how the Indians come apart. Best way to remove the rubber grip? IF needed?

SO different than riding my H-D VLs! Well... opposite comes to mind! HAHA I really like that they are different.

Thanks!
    Jim

AMCA #6520

Kiwi has a good video on the cable controls that may be helpful. I had to spend some time on mine when I first rebuilt everything to get them both working smooth.
    https://youtu.be/o5iynnkzay0

Comment

Originally posted by TH47Indy View Post
      Kiwi has a good video on the cable controls that may be helpful. I had to spend some time on mine when I first rebuilt everything to get them both working smooth.
      https://youtu.be/o5iynnkzay0
      Terry, that's a great video, thanks for posting it! It's great support that Kiwi gives.

Jim, rubber grips can stay on, and I would make certain the cable passes straight through, and not at an angle, on the two clips holding the cable to the cylinder head and tank mounting bolt...I didn't pay attention to that once and it caused some binding.

Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post

Terry, that's a great video, thanks for posting it! It's great support that Kiwi gives.

Jim, rubber grips can stay on, and I would make certain the cable passes straight through, and not at an angle, on the two clips holding the cable to the cylinder head and tank mounting bolt...I didn't pay attention to that once and it caused some binding.
        Harry, did you have the cable cover go through the tank mounting clip? Or should it be cut on either side of the clip so that the clip only clamps down on the cable, rather then the covering and cable?
        The cable and covering seem to be too thick for my tank clip.
        Thanks.

Comment

Jim, agreed that it's a squeeze, I think I must have opened up the clip a bit? Anyway, I once saw what looked like a mostly original Chief and it was done like that...but it's one of those details that only a judge would know!

1F3F75A6-027D-41F5-89F8-D61CA2A673A3.jpeg
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

GREAT information on this! Nice video too, and I'll have to go onto Kiwi's site and check out more. Since I just got my Chief, I"m still figuring things out. Thanks guys!! I'll check it out and see just what is going on with my Chief. Here is a picture from today's ride.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Good luck! My '47 is my first Indian restoration of a basket case, and I've spent hours and hours reading through the posts in this forum, every page of the parts drawings in the Geers catalog,Kiwi's videos, and checking out bikes and getting advice at meets. But still run into questions everyday. All part of the fun!

Comment

Hey Jim, That's a REAL NICE looking Chief you got there. I was just getting ready to ask you to post a pic. Take your time, put some miles on it and you'll develop a priority list of things to do.

Not that I've had to do a lot to my 48 since I got it in 2012, but the single best thing I did, thanks to this forum (Peter "PRG" and Gene Harper specifically) was convert to electronic voltage regulator which allowed using and a Shorai lithium iron battery. 1000s of miles and 7 years later the charging system remains untouched and that includes NEVER having a battery charger/maintainer on it. The reason I did it was I learned early on that charging system problems plagued many owners and thus prevented them from riding much due worries of breakdown.
                Jason Zerbini
                Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Skirted View Post
                  Hey Jim, That's a REAL NICE looking Chief you got there. I was just getting ready to ask you to post a pic. Take your time, put some miles on it and you'll develop a priority list of things to do.

Not that I've had to do a lot to my 48 since I got it in 2012, but the single best thing I did, thanks to this forum (Peter "PRG" and Gene Harper specifically) was convert to electronic voltage regulator which allowed using and a Shorai lithium iron battery. 1000s of miles and 7 years later the charging system remains untouched and that includes NEVER having a battery charger/maintainer on it. The reason I did it was I learned early on that charging system problems plagued many owners and thus prevented them from riding much due worries of breakdown.
                  Thanks for the tip on the Electronic Voltage Reg. I will look into that. I will need to buy a battery for it because right now, I am 'borrowing' the one out of my Harley VL. I already sent my speedometer to Terry Marsh. It wasn't registering the MPH, but the Odometer was working. So, we'll see what he says about it. Which "model number" battery are you using?

I am making a "list" of items I want to get for my Chief. I know I need the small spring on the clutch pedal that returns the back pedal. My spring is broke and it's irritating when it gets "flipped" over.

I remember you asking all those questions and when you bought YOUR '48. Your user name just "stuck" in my head.

I'm not sure why my photo is small when I see other photos in this forum (since the update) are much larger.

Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Mine were binding too. The problem ended up being that the screw on sleeves were somehow wrong. When I replaced them with new ones (from Kiwi) it mostly solved the problem. I also made sure the radii of the cables were smooth and that I lubed the cables and housings with DuPont dry teflon spray. I also greased the mechanism under the grips. Now they are remarkably smooth and easy.

Comment

Just an update... today I removed the grip and cleaned it. Then, I used some new grease on it and it is working fine. I suppose it's possible that it could've been some "grit" or whatever, but I took it for a ride and didn't have any issues with it. Thanks for that video link from KIWI. I didn't know they existed to be honest. I am a new Indian owner/rider.
                      Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Working...
                      X