Shift bell crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift bell crank

Is the fit of the shifter bell crank really, really tight? Or is there a trick to installing it?

I believe it is an original, and I have a new repo, and neither one won't go on with a lot of pressure, even without the key.

I tried tapping on it but don't want to beat on it unless that what it takes.

Thanks.
    Terry

Terry, you mean the bellcrank on a LH shifter lever, or the one on the transmission tower? Mine is RH shift so no bellcrank up top, but the one on the tower fits the taper snugly with only moderate pressure to install or remove, never had to beat on it to break the taper or install it. If it's a LH shift with an upper bellcrank then maybe it's an aftermarket shift lever?
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
      Terry, you mean the bellcrank on a LH shifter lever, or the one on the transmission tower? Mine is RH shift so no bellcrank up top, but the one on the tower fits the taper snugly with only moderate pressure to install or remove, never had to beat on it to break the taper or install it. If it's a LH shift with an upper bellcrank then maybe it's an aftermarket shift lever?
      It's ther one at the tranny tower.
      Is the inner diameter different on the bellcrank for the shifter?
      Now that I look closer the original one I had is for the shifter lever, but the new repo I bought is supposed to be for the trans-RH shift.
      If the size is different, maybe both are for the shift lever?

Comment

Originally posted by TH47Indy View Post
        Now that I look closer the original one I had is for the shifter lever, but the new repo I bought is supposed to be for the trans-RH shift.
        If the size is different, maybe both are for the shift lever?
        Maybe someone else can answer that, I don't know! I see Greer's uses two different part numbers for the two bellcranks, maybe give Todd a call at Greer's and ask if nobody chimes in here!
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

The bellcrank should go on easy with the key and then the nut tightens up the taper.
          Tom

Comment

I had issues getting my bell crank off at the tran tower. Had to get a gear puller on there in the end. Re-assembled with a bit of copper grease so not as hard next time.

Comment

Thanks everyone, turns out it was another defective new repo part from a certain vendor.

Bought a new one Greers and it fits perfectly, and look better. Another instance of "you get what you pay for!"

Comment

Working...
              X