LED Sealed Beam Headlamp Night Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Sealed Beam Headlamp Night Pics

Below pics are from a VC6V LED headlamp I installed on the 48 Chief. https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/7-in...headlight-kit/.
    I don't intentionally ride at night but sometimes it happens and here in SW PA with the tight winding roads and 4 legged critters and such its nice to be able to see a little better. It is SIGNIFICANTLY brighter than the 4030. I do not recommend these lamps if being put on a bike with a feeble charging system and wiring. They need about 7 volts for best performance.

6 volt system running at 6.9 volts at the headlamp connections. Draws roughly 1/2 current, 3.6 amps max vs 6.6A max with the original GE 4030. Its a very white light. Plugs right into the original wiring connector - no modification needed. The high reaches out much further but has a narrower beam pattern than the low.

Back Road Low Beam

Back Road High Beam

Highway Low Beam

Highway high Beam
    Jason Zerbini
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Jason, that looks awesome, thanks for posting! If you get a chance to, can you take a picture of what it looks like in your headlamp bucket (means how does the lens look....like it belongs on the bike, or is it space age looking?)
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

That looks great. Agree with your comment on charging systems. I had Indian Frank rebuild my generator to 12v and install a solid-state regulator in the vintage case. I use it with a modern AGM battery in a dummy shell and this headlight https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gte-90941-5. The light is excellent, it looks cool (not entirely stock, but sort of hot-roddish), and I can leave it on all the time and not have to worry about discharging.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
        Jason, that looks awesome, thanks for posting! If you get a chance to, can you take a picture of what it looks like in your headlamp bucket (means how does the lens look....like it belongs on the bike, or is it space age looking?)
        Great pics, thanks for the info. I would also like to know what modifications are required to use this headlamp in a standard Indian headlamp bucket, or does it require a new bucket?

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
          Harry, I'll post up a pic. Its not terribly modern or space age looking due to lens design but it doesn't mimic the 4030. The lens is flatter than the convex domed 4030. I tend to try to keep the bike appearing original as possible so when the someone looks at it, they are seeing what would have been 70 years ago. In the interest of safety, I was willing to make the tradeoff/sacrifice. I run the high beam in daylight and oncoming drivers would have to be blind......or looking at their phone not to see it.

Originally posted by TH47Indy View Post
          Great pics, thanks for the info. I would also like to know what modifications are required to use this headlamp in a standard Indian headlamp bucket, or does it require a new bucket?
          This fit my original 48 Deitz bucket and plugged in with original plug with zero modification or fettling.
          Jason Zerbini

Comment

Wow, looks great! Thanks for posting those photos, Jason. I may have to try that on the Chief.
            AMCA # 3233

Comment

Harry - here you go. such beautiful weather we went for a long ride last evening. Real nice ride and wife being the adventurous one said lets keep going, lets stop here, etc so it was well after dark on the way back and the light got a good test. One thing for sure the light is so white it reflects on every bug coming at you. Almost like it was snowing. I am pleased for for the $150 investment.

Last edited by Skirted; 06-21-2020, 08:54 AM.
              Jason Zerbini

Comment

Anyone have any recommendations on an LED taillight bulb that is "bright"?

Comment

Hey Jason, that actually looks pretty appropriate, thanks for posting that!

There are some others out there that, well.....
                  6F846416-B93A-4CF0-A74E-85F96CEFC6A3.jpg

Comment

Hi all, I have Motorcycle LED headlamp bulbs as replacement for Filament bulbs in different common socket types (BA15D,P30D,H4,H5,..)
                    They work in Multi Voltage range from 6 up to 24 Volt. High/low beam 1600 lumen 8 Watt, brighter
                    as 40...45 Watt Filament bulbs. And you save a lot of power from the Generator. Also I have LED bulbs for taillights,
                    Spotlights, bullet Lights, indicator and speedo Lights (BAY15D,BA15D,BA15S,BA9S) for a complete converting into brigther Lights and less power
                    consumption. George

Comment

Howdy chaps,

Can’t remember where I first mentioned fitting the VC6V, likely CAIMAG, but it along with attendant lighting conversion is a game changer and final piece in the puzzle following a two brush conversion, electronic reg and modern battery(s) - I have 2 Shorai BSO6’s in parallel - to render your 6V charging system a non issue going forward. Make sure your electrical connections and switches are in good operational order or you will be subjected to annoying pulsing and widely varying brightness over the rev range. Unlike incandescents for which the filament is a slow responding hot plate element, LED’s are real time instantaneous reactors to their power source.

On the other hand no taillight bulb types currently available, pun intended, yield the same dramatic result. So, here’s what I suggest, it’s all about overall system load, you’ve saved those precious amps elsewhere so squander a few of them on a halogen tailight bulb. I ride in DRL states and so have a concealed switch run headlight only saving that halogen for when it’s really needed, night and braking.

With the exception of single post spotlight bulbs, which I described a fix for here earlier, the remaining bulbs for a Knuckle or Chief are available at the link below. Note the choices where available between white and warm white, the former is the retina searing type like the above headlight, an unnatural brilliance sure to get oncoming traffic’s attention and enable you to see far more efficiently at night. The latter mimicks the organic glow of an incandescent, not nearly as bright, a more appropriate appearance for our vintage machines while retaining the efficiency and longevity of an LED.

https://www.ledlight.com/6-volt-nega...ts.aspx?page=2
                      Cheerio,
                      Peter
                      1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Thank you George, and of course, Peter. I made a copy of your posts and plan to make that conversion on my '48FL. Always good stuff from you Peter.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Peter, thank you for addressing the LED taillight bulb question I posed. I have been using a halogen bulb in this application, which works great when used in conjunction with "glass lens" type taillights and not so well with plastic lens types as there is too much heat produced from the halogen bulbs. Hope to see a super bright LED alternative for the taillight in the not too distant future.

Comment

Originally posted by Schorsch View Post
                            Hi all, I have Motorcycle LED headlamp bulbs as replacement for Filament bulbs in different common socket types (BA15D,P30D,H4,H5,..)
                            They work in Multi Voltage range from 6 up to 24 Volt. High/low beam 1600 lumen 8 Watt, brighter
                            as 40...45 Watt Filament bulbs.
                            Hi George, do you have a website or other way to contact you? (sorry....I missed it maybe?)

Comment

Working...
                            X