Adjusting front fork links on a '48 Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting front fork links on a '48 Chief

There was an excessive gap between one of the links and the fork, so I adjusted the link according to the procedure in the Owner's Manual: (1) Jack up front, (2) loosen both lock nuts, (3) tap the shaft with a plastic hammer to unseat the taper, (4) tighten the left nut so the shaft is free to turn, (5) adjust clearance by turning the shaft 1/4 turn at a time, and (6) tighten the nuts.

I was able to fix that gap and adjust the link, but now the shaft is not centered, with more threads showing on the right versus the left, as shown in the photos. How do I recenter the shaft so it is evenly adjusted? Also, should there be lock washers on the left side (I don't have any)?

Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lipdog; 12-31-2019, 08:38 PM.

The left shackle is tapered and you want the rod to fully seat in the taper so I usually adjust it first leaving it just loose enough to turn. Then adjust the right side till there is no play and you can turn the knurled washers. Tighten the lock nuts and recheck. It may take several tries to get it right. Good luck.

Comment

Both sides are now adjusted properly so there is no play and I can turn the knurled washers. But now the shaft is not centered and there are more exposed threads on the right side versus the left. I still can't figure out how to adjust the shaft so the knurled washers work as they do now, but the shaft is centered.

Comment

Mine looks like your pictures. That's how they end up looking.

Comment

Originally posted by tomfiii View Post
          Mine looks like your pictures. That's how they end up looking.
          Exactly! A drop of Loctite is your friend here, too.
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Cool, thanks. So just Loctite and no lock washers?

Comment

Originally posted by Lipdog View Post
              Cool, thanks. So just Loctite and no lock washers?
              Lockwashers yes! I think you’ll find with lock washers on the LH side that the ends of the cross links will be flush with the nut.
              Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Working...
              X