Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1946 indian chief cylinder removal from crankcase???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1946 indian chief cylinder removal from crankcase???

I am trying to remove the cylinders from my 1946 indian crankcase and am having a little trouble. I am not sure how much to pry or what to use to pry the cylinders from the crankcase. I have never done this before and do not want to damage or chip any thing. Any suggestions on how to break the gasket free would be appreciated.

jeff
    Attached Files

You could put some pressure on the kicker to apply some uppward force to the piston and cylinder but I usually just rock or palm bump the top of jug and it should lift off.I would pull the manifold also if its still on.Dont try to wedge anything under the flange.
    Tom
    ps if piston moves freely you can put something on top of the piston to contact the snugged on head.Rope,,a rag,piece of wood.
    I know,so crude.
    Last edited by tfburke3; 12-15-2019, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
      I would pull the manifold also if its still on.Dont try to wedge anything under the flange.
      Jeff, your picture 4 shows the manifold still attached, taking it off will definitely help your cause (...and I can’t see how you’d ever get the cylinders off with the manifold still attached.)
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
        Jeff, your picture 4 shows the manifold still attached, taking it off will definitely help your cause (...and I can’t see how you’d ever get the cylinders off with the manifold still attached.)
        I have taken the intake manifold off since this picture was taken. I will try a little bump or two to free them up. When you have never done something you really don't know if you need more force or less force.

jeff

Comment

Working...
        X