No announcement yet.

How to move throttle back to left side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen this before when switching from left to right or the opposite. Some old bikes have taken the sleeve nuts and ground the thread end down to "tighten up the steel sleeve. I've also seen the other style sleeve nuts (tapered) used to take up the slop. The tapered sleeve nuts are for rigid frames and wrong for '40 and later bars. The shims are available, but I think they go between the steel sleeve and the nut. I'm thinking you need to space the distance between the inside of the nut and end of the sleeve, correct? Make a shim from some produce wire (used to wrap celery or other produce), strip the paper from the fine wire, wrap it around the bars above the threads. Tighten the nuts firmly. If that doesn't work, look into finding some new sleeve nuts. Yours may have been filed or ground down, and you may not notice it, without some different sleeve nuts to compare the depth for the shoulder on the inside of the nuts. Hope that helps. C2K

Comment

Thanks! You guys are really helpful. I took the rubber grips off, which helped me see what is going on. I also spoke with Mike Tomas and he told me what is normal. Something in my setup isn't. The cables move very well now if I just push the slider on the handlebar in and out manually, without the sleeves and grips attached. The sleeves turn things perfectly but as I mentioned before, when I tighten the nuts the last 1/16 turn or so, things bind up, and they shouldn't. I filed down the end of the flange on the sleeves that mates up against the handlebar a couple thou and that seemed to help a bit. On one side, I wrapped a small piece of wire inside the nut and tightened it down and everything works. Of course, that's just a temporary fix. These sleeves look original and they may be buggered up, so I may order just one sleeve and nut with shims. I think there's a good chance that would fix it.

Comment

Working...
      X