Chief popping out of gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief popping out of gear?

have chief that pops out of first gear, the detent has been adjusted to just being able to shift yet it still pops out, any ideas? thanks

Have you looked at the gears?Probably chewed up slider or bent mainshaft.I once had a repro slider that didnt last 1000 miles.Cluster gear and bushings,and the right side steel cluster shaft bushing spinning in the case are the also things to look at.Usually second is the issue because you wind it out so much more than first.A rebuild it most likely going to required.
    Tom
    Last edited by tfburke3; 10-15-2019, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Agree there is an issue inside trans if the detent adjustment didn't help. Often the leading edges of gear teeth get rounded/chewed off at a minimum causing it to disengage under load. Remove trans top cover and inspect.
      In the meantime hold that shifter forward!
      I got lucky a few years ago and solved mine with a slight adjustment to the detent. No issues since.
      Jason Zerbini
      Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
      Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

You could also look at the quality of the detent spring, and ball. I've seen badly rusted balls, and weak spings cause problems. You've probably already done that, but just a suggestion.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
          Have you looked at the gears?Probably chewed up slider or bent mainshaft.I once had a repro slider that didnt last 1000 miles.Cluster gear and bushings,and the right side steel cluster shaft bushing spinning in the case are the also things to look at.Usually second is the issue because you wind it out so much more than first.A rebuild it most likely going to required.
          Tom
          Great explanation by tfburk3.

Every Indian that I had, that was popping out of gear; usually had a combination of the the problems, listed above.

If the transmission hasn't been overhauled, in a lot of miles; you can almost bet something is worn, and worn to the point of a visual inspection of the gears, shafts shims, bearings, will show wear.

Take your measurements before, just tearing it apart. You want to find out your problem; before all the parts are on the bench.

Of course take a good look at the shift tower, and detent related parts.

When those transmissions are in proper order; they will stay in gear. A little wear here and a little wear there, and so on; will add up to problems.

And try to use the best parts you can find, there are several parts suppliers, we all know; and they want your machine to work as it should.

bjind

Comment

First gear not so much but second gear mostly. Because Indian decided to save a few bucks and not offer a tank shift gate shifting is pretty much by "feel" even with ball detent. I've noticed after shifting sometimes that letting off throttle can move shifter to center of detent notch so evidently transmission can be in a gear without detent fully seated. Try starting out in first and before upshifting then let off throttle and see if gears are fully engaged with detent. Luckily there isn't a hill in Western PA that a Chief can't climb in 3rd gear so shifting isn't needed much outside of town.

Comment

Working...
            X