1948 chief tire removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1948 chief tire removal

Just bought a 1948 chief, I have to replace the original tires ,not sure how to get the tires out from under the skirted fenders any advice would be great ,thanks jerry

Originally posted by jn1972 View Post
    Just bought a 1948 chief, I have to replace the original tires ,not sure how to get the tires out from under the skirted fenders any advice would be great ,thanks jerry
    Jerry, the front (on my ‘46) only comes out after I reduce tire pressure to almost nothing. The rear doesn’t have that problem....but if I’m rotating front to rear and vice versa then they both have to be really, really soft for one to go up in the front. And the front needs to be pretty high off the floor to angle it out.
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Jerry,
      With a helper, I have my Chief on the center stand and then lean it over side to side while the helper places short 2x4 wood blocks alternately under the center stand feet to raise it off the floor.
      I stabilize it with a small automotive type hydraulic floor jack. You do have to let air out of 5.00-16 tires to drop the front wheel, and break the wheel hub nuts loose before lifting the bike
      off the floor.

Comment

Original tires you say! Got any pics of the bike to post?

The rear has to go up pretty high to get wheel out. Though there are many options for a jack, I use a simple one like this.
        Attached Files
        Jason Zerbini
        Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
        Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Wow !! I have 18"s on all my Chiefs, both rigid and the spring frame models. I didn't realize the 16"s were a problem when changing tires... having to let all the air out of the tires, for the fender clearance. Learned something new, I guess. About jacking up the chassis... I put the bike on the center stand, and for the front I put a jack under the front motor mount and raise the bike until the rear tire is barely touching the ground. Turn the handlebars to the right, after removing the lug bolts, the wheel comes right off. When changing the rear tire, simply let the jack down enough to remove the back wheel, of course after removing the lug nuts. With the 18"s I can do the whole process with out a helper.
          Another idea... to go along with John's suggestion might be... roll the bike up on a three piece 2x10 plank, wide enough so the side stand will be firmly on the center section of the tri-plank, lean the bike over, secure the center stand in position, then remove the rear piece of the tri-plank. For the front, its a little trickier... you have to push down on the rear to raise the front to remove the tri-plank. When you're finished, simply roll the bike off the center stand. As long as the ground is level,and very firm, such as concrete or asphalt its not too difficult to change any tire !!
          It's when the ground is soft dirt or gravel is when things get pretty tough. That's when you have to become quite creative in your approach... i.e; laying your bike over on its side, trying not to scratch it all up to get the tires on and off... i.e; a flat, out on the road, in the middle of nowhere. Oh yea... it can happen !!
          If your center stand is of sound, and proper working order you should be confident that the center stand will support the bike when leaned over, supported by the side stand... standing firmly by itself. There are alot of chiefs that have a sketchy center stand !! That is to say, the bolt holes and center stand flats don't engage in the receiver under frame properly. If your center stand wiggles from side to side, when loosened from the center stand spring retainer, the you likely have some problems... and you may want to inspect and repair the frame holes and center stand as a whole. That is NOT an easy task, if repairs are required.
          A long time ago I went to school with Bob Stark, and later again, with Mike Tomas regarding the center stand issues. Maybe because I am using 18's, they sit slightly taller than 16's. In any case, I learned that the center stand can be your best friend or your worst enemy... depending on the condition of the bolt holes and bracket assembly that you can't see... without taking it apart and crawling under the bike, and with a mirror, inspecting the bolt holes... likely the reason so many owners struggle with the center stand.
          I've repaired every one of the frames I have, both rigid and spring frame models. Now, I'm fully confident that the center stand on my bikes will work and function as designed, and the bike won't fall over when I walk away or turn my back on my bike... leaning over, with or without tires mounted.

Comment

Working...
          X