Oil pump recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pump recommendation

As I mentioned in a prior post, the oil pump on my '48 Chief (aluminum) is wet sumping something awful and I don't want to take a chance on a weak and worn pump. I will replace it. There are several variants on the market. Kiwi's has a high output modification and is tested. Starklite sells high capacity gears but I'm not sure if they are in the new pump he sells. And Greer always sells good stuff. Does anyone have any recommendations between these (or others), and why? PM me if necessary. Thanks!

Because its standing wet sumping that doesnt necessarily indicate a weak or worn pump.If it was wet sumping while running that could indicate a worn return pump.
    In my opinion high output is not necessary.These pumps supply and return very well.The wet sumping in storage is a design issue with no seal on the pump shaft and removal of the ball valve.A new pump without the ball valve will do the same.I personally believe the cast iron pumps are better.They have bigger return gears,cast iron housing instead of aluminum,no tiny keys to shear,and with a good fitting plunger very little wet sumping.
    Sorry I have no experience with modified or aftermarket systems.
    Tom

Comment

Don't forget "tuning" the scraper, Folks!

....Cotten
      PS: Nah, just throw money at it.
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-03-2019, 05:27 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Are there any posts you can point me to on tuning the scraper?

Comment

I don't know, but I found this on Professor Jim Moshers Performance Indian cite:

http://performanceindian.com/Oil%20P...0Scrapers.html

Oil Pump & Scrapers

"A "scraper" as used in the 1947 Chief was a good upgrade from the original sump casting used from 1932
          through early 1947. The scraper is a flat 1/4" plate with a contoured blade behind it that sits very close
          to the outer edge of the rotating flywheels. It's job is to "scrape" off any excess oil from the flywheels
          when the motor is running. It doesn't actually scrape the flywheels, but rather sits about .015"-.020" off
          the edge (just enough to capture excess oil). The scraper blade is cocked at an angle, which helps to direct
          the oil now sitting in the bottom of the crankcase toward an oil fitting that the sump tube connects to.
          It is a simple system that works really well. The scraper is not restrictive, so an oil pump that has sat
          for a length of time has no trouble picking up oil to return to the oil tank. I use a 1947 Scraper on ALL
          bottom ends for Scouts, and Chiefs prior to 1947. In 1948, the Chief had this scraper cast into the cases,
          and there is only the threaded hole for the sump line fitting. To install a scraper to an older Chief, or
          Scout, there is a little trimming needed to the sump hole, and at the very bottom of the case joint, so the
          scraper can make it over to the left side wheel. Be very careful to not trim out too much metal, or the
          scraper gasket might leak!"

As your Chief is a 1948 (CDH) and as per cited expert "In 1948, the Chief had this scraper cast into the cases"
          I would wonder/question IF there is a scraper for you to "tune". As I stated at the start I don't know but I am
          confident that the Senior members here do.

Comment

Or perhaps the question is better stated:
            Can a casted scraper be "tuned" without out splitting the cases?

Comment

Originally posted by PaulCDF View Post
              Or perhaps the question is better stated:
              Can a casted scraper be "tuned" without out splitting the cases?
              Good question, Paul!

Better add 'safely', before somebody suggests JBWeld.

....Cotten
              PS: My test bench is up for trade.
              I'll never use it again.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-26-2019, 08:51 AM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
              X