No announcement yet.

WANTED: Chief Sealed Beam #4030 for 1941-1942 and 1948-1953 Chief motorcycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WANTED: Chief Sealed Beam #4030 for 1941-1942 and 1948-1953 Chief motorcycle

I need a sealed beam original part #4030 for a Chief headlight. Does anyone in this forum know of anyone with this part for sale?

Len Dowe tried to help, though he didn't have the matching number.

Thanks.
    -JTR

Like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-GE-...-/113228632102

Assuming you don't want the replacements that have 3 aiming tits?
    Jason Zerbini
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JTR249 View Post
      I need a sealed beam original part #4030 for a Chief headlight. Does anyone in this forum know of anyone with this part for sale?

Len Dowe tried to help, though he didn't have the matching number.

Thanks.
      -JTR
      Can you elaborate on the sealed beam.
      I have a 51 chief,original lamp,not sure about bulb,I havent had it apart in long time.
      My bulb says on the outside

M-30

Sealed Beam
      T-S
      Made in USA

Thanks
      Tom

Comment

That looks perfect. How is this one new? Is it NOS?

-JR

Comment

I think if you have the sealed beam out of the shell, the back of the reflector portion has the original number stamped to an area close to the center just like modern ones.
          I wanted an original, period correct part and not reproduction, that's all. Nothing wrong with modern parts, though I just wanted to get as close as possible to the original. When I started looking for this particular part, it was really easy to find the modern reproduction ones, but the originals are most likely still on running bikes.

Part of the problem is actually just as you ask. elaborating on what one looks like. I've only seen them at Kiwi Indian and in Hatfield, though not close enough to get a good understanding of what to look for close up. Several companies made them, though GE made the ones they placed on Indian motorcycles. The photo I had from a forensic law enforcement source was not very clear because the image was a photocopy.

I don't know about the prongs, or "tits," because I have only seen the modern one, which is what I have in the lamp right now.

Thanks for your help.

-JR

Comment

I just bought the one posted with a link by Jason Z. Thank you guys for your help and information.

-JR

Comment

I think if you have the sealed beam out of the shell, the back of the reflector portion has the original number stamped to an area close to the center just like modern ones.
              I wanted an original, period correct part and not reproduction, that's all. Nothing wrong with modern parts, though I just wanted to get as close as possible to the original. When I started looking for this particular part, it was really easy to find the modern reproduction ones, but the originals are most likely still on running bikes.

Part of the problem is actually just as you ask. elaborating on what one looks like. I've only seen them at Kiwi Indian and in Hatfield, though not close enough to get a good understanding of what to look for close up. Several companies made them, though GE made the ones they placed on Indian motorcycles. The photo I had from a forensic law enforcement source was not very clear because the image was a photocopy.

I don't know about the prongs, or "tits," because I have only seen the modern one, which is what I have in the lamp right now.

Thanks for your help.

-JR
              I looked on my shelf and found another T-S which is apparently Tungsol and a Ge That has 171 and Top at the top and Ge sealed beam made in USA on bottom.The Ge stamp on the inside is to blurred to read.
              Thanks
              Tom

Comment

Howdy chaps,

Here is an NOS 4030, I unwittingly removed the easiest form of identification from it moments ago with Windex. Lightly stenciled in black in the backside of the reflector is General Electric 4030 with the number in the middle in 3 rows. Obviously very fragile and likely missing on an example to be found at a swap meet unless in the original box like mine was. That number is nowhere else so.....

ID’g one. First off, looking straight at the lens of one there is 3 inch or so focal reflector in the middle obvious from feet away.

At the top

At the bottom,

Sealed Beam
                GE
                MADE IN USA

On the right side the third row of flutes down.

M

Those are most suited to AMCA judging only, the low beam is very feeble while pulling nearly 4 amps. I can only guess that being intended for M/C use accompanied by lots of vibration that the filament is more robust than the car equivalent. Rarity aside, I’d run the latter.

Cheerio,
                Peter
                1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Originally posted by PRG View Post
                  Howdy chaps,

Here is an NOS 4030, I unwittingly removed the easiest form of identification from it moments ago with Windex. Lightly stenciled in black in the backside of the reflector is General Electric 4030 with the number in the middle in 3 rows. Obviously very fragile and likely missing on an example to be found at a swap meet unless in the original box like mine was. That number is nowhere else so.....

ID’g one. First off, looking straight at the lens of one there is 3 inch or so focal reflector in the middle obvious from feet away.

At the top

At the bottom,

Sealed Beam
                  GE
                  MADE IN USA

On the right side the third row of flutes down.

M

Those are most suited to AMCA judging only, the low beam is very feeble while pulling nearly 4 amps. I can only guess that being intended for M/C use accompanied by lots of vibration that the filament is more robust than the car equivalent. Rarity aside, I’d run the latter.

Looking at my GE bulb again I can see the blue stamp 4030.The front has 171 with Top below it,K43 very small on the right and Sealed Beam Ge made in USA on the bottom.
                  Maybe the 171 and k43 are date codes.
                  Tom
                  Last edited by tfburke3; 09-27-2019, 05:58 PM.

Comment

I'm not certain about the numbers, though I will have it Monday evening. I'll post a photo when I get the lamp. I would think the lens numbers are series for years or production run numbers.
                    thank you for posting the photo. That is a very good reference shot.
                    Do you run your Chief on a 6 volt or twelve volt system?

-JR

Comment

Howdy JR,

All my Indians run 6V on two brush converted Autolites with PODtronic regulators and either a single AGM or two Shorei Lithium Iron batteries wired in parallel within hollowed out former lead acid battery boxes. Search my name on this forum for explanations thereof and/or start with my website link below for various depictions of these conversions.
                      Cheerio,
                      Peter
                      1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

I’ve got a Westinghouse 4030 that originally came in the Dietz-type shell (not Motolamp) of my ‘46. I don’t use it because I had Indian Frank change my generator to 12v.
                        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Were there options on the 1946 Chief headlight? I thought they were the same as the original Indian early 1930s Four, the Scout 741 and the 1949 Arrow, Scout and Warriors?
                          That's also another interesting thing. When was Dietz contracted to make lamps for Indian? I don't recall reading that in Hatfield, Sucher or my other books, Data Book included.

I read some of your other posts before I joined the AMCA. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

-John

Comment

Were there options on the 1946 Chief headlight?
                            John, just so there's no misunderstanding, I'm not aware of any options for headlamps in 1946. I've always assumed my headlamp was a replacement somewhere along the way because like you I've only seen mention of the reflector type from Motolamp as being the correct headlamp in 1946. My Chief had a few aftermarket add-ons installed on it, so I only ever assumed someone changed out the headlamp to a sealed beam unit sometime, it has no markings on it whatsoever, it's chrome plated brass.
                            Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Finally received this one from Theodore Hernandez in French Camp, CA. Finally, the light has all original parts except wiring.

For some reason my image tool is not working. I'll see if I can figure out what went wrong and post photos of the light later.
                              My info on the light is similar to Burke's in his description in this thread. My number on the side is M74, vertically positioned on the front lens.
                              This is most likely a mold number for production purposes. Also possibly a light from 1974 as there was no recorded date when GE stopped making this part number. If that's true, the part number is correct and original, though not one made during Indian production years or one originally in an Indian assembly. All other numbers are standard; 7 GE 7 for the diameter of the lens, 6-8v for six to eight volt system, however, on the front, above the word TOP is the number 909. On the rear beneath the electrical prongs is the letter M and the number 690. I don't know what these numbers mean yet. Anyone out there know, I would be glad to find out.

Thanks to all who contributed

-JR

Comment

Working...
                              X