More generator problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More generator problems

I have a 44 Chief, when I switch the head light on the amp meter shows about a 7 amp discharge, with the engine running at low revs. When the head light is off and I rev the engine it shows a 7 amp charge. would this be a regulator problem? At highway speeds with the lights on, the amp meter is central. The battery is fully charged. I have changed to 12 volts and have a VW generator installed. Thanks in advanced.

Quite often, depending on the electrical arrangement, generators won't put out full voltage at low revs.

VW's can be idled down until the generator light turns on. Once the revs come up, they start charging over 12 volts and the light goes out.

If you turn on your headlight at low revs, then increase the revs, you will see the point where your ammeter will show 0 amps, then as you increase the revs, the ammeter will keep going up until the bike load and generator output equal each other, at which point the ammeter should return to O.

It sounds like all is good with your bike, just don't idle too long with the lights on.

Comment

Ran 6v VW generator and Bosch regulator for years with 6v H4 halogen headlight and coils are 6v, great setup. The amp gauge only shows voltage going into or out of battery so just plus side zero is perfect. It will only show heavy charge if battery is drained and being recharged and discharge at idle with light on is normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbalowe View Post
        Ran 6v VW generator and Bosch regulator for years with 6v H4 halogen headlight and coils are 6v, great setup. The amp gauge only shows voltage going into or out of battery so just plus side zero is perfect. It will only show heavy charge if battery is drained and being recharged and discharge at idle with light on is normal.
        I don't mean to be pedantic here but an ammeter shows current though it, not voltage.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. As I said my amp meter shows a 7 A discharge with lights on and running at about 30 mph, when I get up to highway speed it shows 0 amps. With lights off at highway speeds it shows a 7 A charge. I'm running a sealed battery, could I over charge the battery? There seems to be quite a variation of charging rates, the battery was fully charged, so surly it shouldn't be going from +7 to -7A. Could it be that the voltage regulator is not working. At the moment I turn the lights off when I ride through towns then switch the lights on on the faster roads. I live in France and by law you must have lights on all the time

Comment

I have a VW 6 volt set up on my Chief, machined the smallest possible pulley I could find & ran a cog belt to make the turn on the pulley, no problems, charges great. Recently set up another Bosch this time 12 volt out of a junk yard 25 amp off an old Opel, dimension identicle to 6 volt Autolite chief bracket, charges great.

Comment

Good find on the Opel. 12v VW generator is larger in diameter than 6v and doesn't fit the Autolite bracket and hanging an alternator is just ugly. Recently put a Cycle Electric on but can't say anything bad about the Bosch generators.

Comment

I don't have a problem with the charging, the problem I have when riding at high speed is too much charging. I have 2, 6 volt sealed batteries in series and I've heard lots of horror stories of them failing dramatically. 7 amps seems a lot of amps going into two small batteries. Could it be a regulator problem? I have an electronic regulator fitted.

Comment

On both bikes the 6 volt & 12 volt used brand new out of box bosch regulators. 12 volt is sealed hidden battery, 6 volt is drop in wet battery in a Chris Daniels box. I have nothing against Cycle Electric except the ugly heat sink end. You might take a second look at your regulator.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowdy View Post
                    I don't have a problem with the charging, the problem I have when riding at high speed is too much charging. I have 2, 6 volt sealed batteries in series and I've heard lots of horror stories of them failing dramatically. 7 amps seems a lot of amps going into two small batteries. Could it be a regulator problem? I have an electronic regulator fitted.
                    As far as cooking the battery yes if the regulator does not keep charging “voltage” within the max limit of what the battery is designed for it will result in battery failure. Many sealed batteries have very specific charging limits. If voltage exceeds max limit it will try to overcharge an already charged battery which will increase amps.
                    Attach a “VOLT” meter and see where it’s at during higher rpm. Increased amp draw requires a load. For example which could be in form of lights or a discharged battery. With lights off and a known charged battery the only load should be the ignition which isn’t much.

Also remember gauges can have error. Always good to verify with a second gauge when troubleshooting so you don’t get mislead. But first check voltage and report back.
                    Last edited by Skirted; 09-15-2019, 07:24 AM.
                    Jason Zerbini
                    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Rowdy View Post
                      I have a 44 Chief, when I switch the head light on the amp meter shows about a 7 amp discharge, with the engine running at low revs. When the head light is off and I rev the engine it shows a 7 amp charge. would this be a regulator problem? At highway speeds with the lights on, the amp meter is central. The battery is fully charged. I have changed to 12 volts and have a VW generator installed. Thanks in advanced.
                      Fully charged batteries shouldn't pull 7 amps, check with voltmeter when reving at overcharge and verify there is no more than 14.5 volts. Suspect regulator as generator is obviously making current but if all else fails run with headlight on for safety.

Comment

Working...
                      X