Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1946 Chief speedometer removal to send for rebuild

Hello All!
    I'm trying to remove speedometer so I can ship to have rebuilt. I've removed the bezel and nut holding top speed and max needles. I'm assuming I would remove needles and the face plate will come off so I can get inside speedometer out. The top speed needle is not coming off and I don't want to force pulling if that is not the way to get the needle off screw.
    Should this needle be easy to come off and if so how should I proceed?
    I'm also assuming I can get the inside speedometer out of main housing so I can ship off.
    Am I on the right track? And of course I'm thinking I can leave main housing on bike, right?
    Thanks so much for any help!!!
    Crunch

No need to dismantle the speedometer. Remove the whole unit from the bike and mail it to Stan the Speedo Man.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Howdy Crunch,

You’re removing the guts so as not to have to remove your fuel tanks to get at the underside mounting strap, right? Best advised to do that as your speedo innards are not one modular unit like a Stewart Werner, rather the odometer wheels are on a separate plate mounted above that strap that retains the speed mechanism. Your builder will want to test these mechanisms as a unit so it must be provided as such.
      Last edited by PRG; 02-21-2019, 03:48 PM.
      Cheerio,
      Peter
      1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Thanks so much for the education. Yes, I was trying to avoid removing tanks. I will remove tanks and send entire unit.
        Thanks again!
        Crunch

Comment

Originally posted by Crunch View Post
          I will remove tanks and send entire unit.
          Terry Marsh is the man for the job, he's marsh1915hd and he's at msn.com
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

John Bordas adverises in themag and did my SW last year.Fast turnaround and reasonable price.
            You may be able to remove left tank and move right tank enough without removal or disconnecting oil lines.
            Tom
            Last edited by tfburke3; 02-21-2019, 04:32 PM.

Comment

I don't believe John works on Corbin speedometers. Terry has done several Corbins for me and I am very pleased with his work.
              Dave

Comment

my mistake.I read the op as 48.
                Tom

Comment

I'd second Piston Bully, Terry Marsh is the guy to send that Corbin speedo to, quick turnaround and beautiful work.
                  AMCA # 3233

Comment

Working...
                  X