1934 chief cams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1934 chief cams

have 1934 chief engine without cams, can any other cams be used ? I see the part numbers are different than 36-48 ....help.. thanks chris

You can use later model cams,but the followers should match.The original cams have a larger base circle and the lifters are different than the std later lifters.
    Interesting that Indian used older parts for the Bonneville motors,I beleive,bceause the intake lifter number for 34 is the same as a Bonneville lifter.My exhuast had no numbers.
    I am using 47 std cams with Bonneville lifters from Stark,because I had to buy new followers so I got the Bonnevilles.
    Tom

Comment

So to be clear, I have the followers so I can use the newer cams ,gears, and shafts ? thanks chris

Comment

Hey Chris,Any cam and gear34-53 will work.
        The shafts must match the old ends.So if your running a mag you can just cut the dist.drive off the later shaft end flush with outside bushing.
        If you are using a 34 pump you need to press in the right shaft,later screw drive is different from the 38-47 pump drive.
        "Indian used 3 different oil pump drive gears on the front camshaft from1933-1934." quote page 35 Hatfields resto guide with pics of all three.
        So if you are using a 34-37 pump,make sure the shaft matches,spins freely.
        If you are not going full original the later 38-47 pump ,cam cover and distributor is an easy improvement.
        I dont have the numbers at hand,maybe search my old posts,but my intake lifter had the same number as Bonneville.
        Compare to set of Bonnevilles or put a degree wheel on the driveshaft and measure cam timing.
        Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
          ..So if your running a mag you can just cut the dist.drive off the later shaft end flush with outside bushing..
          Gasp! Gasp!

I'll swap my "re-ground" points cam'd cam from my '34 to save a good one!

Then I could cash in the RM.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Tom,of course it would be better to just swap the right shaft,but dist drive cam shafts arent that rare,and I should have said cut to slightly shorter than bushing hole.
            BTW I have never seen a 34 /35 points cam.
            Whats it look like?
            I once thought of making one by pressing a dist cam lobe on custom machined shaft,but sticking with the mag for now.
            Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
              Tom,of course it would be better to just swap the right shaft,but dist drive cam shafts arent that rare,and I should have said cut to slightly shorter than bushing hole.
              BTW I have never seen a 34 /35 points cam.
              Whats it look like?
              I once thought of making one by pressing a dist cam lobe on custom machined shaft,but sticking with the mag for now.
              Tom
              Something like one of these, Tom!

I didn't realize I had already found a replacement.

Now I need to know what the points housing itself looks like.

....Cotten
              PS: It looks like I'm missing one valve cover like on the right, if anyone has a spare.
              Anybody guess as to the left one?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-05-2018, 03:14 PM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks for posting the pics Tom,
                tom

Comment

Working...
                X