indian face horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• indian face horn

does someone know how to tell the repops from the real horn face ? thanks chris

Howdy sir,

There are some very good repops out there now, some being passed off as original, thus was not the case 20 years ago, the selection was pretty poor but this example stood out as very convincing. Produced by a gentleman in Germany now deceased I mention this particular one because within the last year I spied an example on a 39 Chief being touted as original paint untouched with a stellar antiquing job having been performed on this horn face to match the rest of the machine.

Two things. The faces were originally crimped onto a steel mounting ring and have a round rolled edge around the perimeter. This one is squarish, lightly crimped and primarily secured by solder lightly filed around the rear edge. The opening between the top feather and the one to the left at 11 o’clock is excessively wide being .395 inches at the root on the outer perimeter when it should be about .345. The other feathers seem ever so slightly scaled down in width as well reminding me of the shrinkage one experiences when trying to pop a mold of a master/original fiberglass part to produce a copy.

Cheerio,
    Peter
    1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Doh!

My plaster mold was made from Christian's;
      An artist who is missed.

....Cotten
      Attached Files
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
      X