Proper lubrication for newly rebuilt engine and transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper lubrication for newly rebuilt engine and transmission

My 47 Chief has been out of service for 26 years. The transmission and engine were rebuilt 3 years ago by a local shop which is now closed. (owner retired after 50 years) Haven't been able to contact him, but I'm still trying.

My questions are: what oil should I use in the transmission/clutch? What oil should I use in the engine? Do I need to continue to add lead to the gasoline as I did in 1992?

I have read many entries in this forum that discuss this, but I wanted specific answers so we could have a dialogue.

Thanks - Larry Gibson

P.S. It did start after 26 years and hundreds of hours of work!

https://youtu.be/u9YmApjVOMQ

Originally posted by larrymgibson View Post
    My questions are: what oil should I use in the transmission/clutch? What oil should I use in the engine? Do I need to continue to add lead to the gasoline as I did in 1992?
    Larry, I took a look at the video.... nice! You are right that there are many entries in this forum on the oil topic! I can only say I use straight 30W non-detergent in the gearbox and primary (they're not split), and 50W Valvoline VR1 non-synthetic in the motor (and I do bump it up to 60W for the two days when it gets hot here! ) Works for me so far, just turned over 35k but needs its second top end job since rebuilding at zero.
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Is 15-17k miles typical before needing a top overhaul?

Comment

According to Modern Motorcycle Mechanics and Speed Tuning, by J. B. Nicholson, 1945 edition:
        "Top motor overhaul is normally required at 5,000 to 10,000 mile intervals, dependent on operating conditions. Need for top overhauls is indicated by excessive oil consumption, loss of compression, increased mechanical noise, and generally reduced performance."

On mine I notice the first two, excessive oil consumption and loss of compression but not in a huge way.... runs very well but starting requires that I turn the motor over until I'm on a compression stroke, then it'll start easily.... that's a change in how it used to start.
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Working...
        X