2 years since startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 years since startup

Ok guys I'm looking for a little advice. I just got a chief (47) that hasn't been started in a couple years. I am pretty sure what I need to do ,but am looking for things I might have missed. Any and all advice is welcome. (P.S. Bike restored 4 years ago)

G'day Flat Head.
    I own a 47 Chief, which some times has to wait over 6 months between starting (when I deploy over seas).
    All I do is put new fuel in it, it's always on a battery trickle charger, so I check the electrolite level.

Suggest you:
    1: New fuel after draining carbie.
    2: Check battery charge, new battery or charge old one if needed (volt level under 12.5 or so)
    3: Oil level is ok, may need to drain sump first as many will wet sump.

4: Choke setting closed, ignition off, bike in neutral, throttle wide open, give a good kick, frees up clutch plates and fuels the bike.

5: Choke open one notch, throttle closed, second kick to free up clutch plates, and fuel in carbie.

6: Choke open another notch, Throttle open slightly, Spark Advance open slightly, bike in neutral, ignition on, give it a bloody good kick.

Hopefully she would have started on the third kick.

Check oil return in the tank, and don't operate if no return.

If it didn't start, kick over again, and if no good, start again from scratch.

Failing this, start fault checking, fuel, spark, compression.

Good luck mate.

Ken.

Comment

Forgot, also subscribe to the Virtual Indian e-mail group. They are brilliant, and responsible for some of the most cutting edge (sic) Indian Chief parts now available. If you own a 47 Indian Chief, you need to be on this list.

632 Indian members (owners / enthusiasts) from all over the world.

http://virtualindian.org/

Comment

It is a great list! with a few very knowledgeable guys who are open to shareing advice. I'd really like to get some more Indian talk and advice going here on this Club BB. We have alot of knowledge in this club. It would be nice if more members could participate and share a bit.

This BBoard has excellent search capabilites and I find it much easier to use and follow a specific conversation. I appreciate your help.

I also participate in a number of internet discussion areas Re: different marques. It's all good.

I'm writing an article for the VI site right now. "What goes around - comes around."

Comment

I also go there and it would be nice if we all posted other sites we visit as more info is good! I also like starklites new forum visit it, its growing and good !

Comment

OK back to startup problems

I changed ALL the fluids, put a new battery in, followed my normal "Indian Startup Procedure" and gas poured out of the carb. Let me say again, it poured. I shut off the gas and have now taken the carb apart and have attempted to adjust the float. I know this was done 4 or so years ago, but hasn't been run much since. I cleaned all the scum out of the float bowl and am probably going to order some new gaskets for the carb before reassembly. Anything I'm missing?
            I do not claim to be a mechanic, but am in the self teaching class at "flathead U" (my own private school taught by myself, to myself, in my garage). Any course study that anyone might have in mind for me would be appreciated.

Comment

Baytown--I was just curious as to the origin of the term "Carbie". In the U.S. we just call them "carbs".

Comment

Originally posted by swall
                Baytown--I was just curious as to the origin of the term "Carbie". In the U.S. we just call them "carbs".
                G'day Swall.
                In Australia, we tend to add "ie or Y " to lots of words to shorten them.
                For example, Carbureter becomes Carby.
                Television becomes Telly,
                Breakfast becomes Breaky
                Generator becomes Genny
                A BBQ is a Barbie etc etc
                To call some one a silly ****** or bastard is a term of endearment (depending on the tone)
                ****** is a fun word in Oz, where as you in the US don't like the term at all.
                Your term 'Fanny', meaning Arse over here (ass) is the front female anatomy over here, so it's a swear word!

If you have red hair, we tend to call you Blue!

A sandwich is a Sanga.
                A sausage is a Snag.

We don't speak English, we speak Australian (or as we call it, Strain!)

Best wishes from Oz,

Ken.

Comment

See what I mean? The US based web censor tool blanked out what in Australia is a perfectly harmless word.
                  For any Aussies reading this, all I said was what is said on the Toyota add by the cattle dog after it ends up in the mud.
                  Starts with B, middle is UGG, and ends in er.
                  This is like talking in code!

Best wishes all.

Ken.

Comment

The censorship thing forces you to be creative. Live with it. Some members are younger. Some take great offence. Be polite, be creative. Well, at least try.

Check the float needle. Is it sticking. Does it have a smooth path. Does it seal properly. lift float up and blow into gas intake with sealed lips. It should seat and seal. May have had some crud blocking proper sealing. You can check without full disassembly by just removing nut over float needle. A good way to flood the carb - flush out any crud, check needle seal, nut it back up. Takes 5 min on the road.

Bowl nut bottom and copper washer should be coated with sealant before assemb. They leak. I didn't use anything but the gasket between the bowl and carb and have had no problems to date. Just lightly crush the washer - don't crank it on and warp/crack the bowl.

Comment

BAYTOWN,
                      Thanks for the lesson in Strain....I would have never guessed!
                      My MCs never set for two years without running I try to at least get them out on the road once a year for a good run, if not then I drain the tanks and carb bowl then all seems well,also for extended periods of nonuse I add Stabil to the tanks

Comment

Startup.......

Thank You for your replies. I have followed all of your suggestions and all seems to work well. This is a great forum, we are all lucky to have resources like this available.
                        Now all I have to do is let some snow clear and take her on the road !!!
                        Later.

Comment

Ride safe mate.
                          Don't forget the clutch pedal is the opposite travel of your HDs, and never rely on the pedal spring to not return in a hurry. Keep your foot on it if possible when in gear at the lights or you could get a nasty accelerative surprise!

Best wishes.

Ken.

Comment

That sounds like some good advice. My WL, as you mentioned, is opposite, in almost every way. This one has left side throttle-right side shift. And now to top it all off, the freakin clutch is on bassakwerds. I will probably be advancing the spark at a few lights to start out... Anyway, thanks again for the replies.

Comment

Working...
                            X