re; Chief cam cover changes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re; Chief cam cover changes...

I'm restoring a '45 Chief with a magneto ignition. My question is this... when was the cam cover first introduced with the raised apron that covers the cylinder deck ? I was under the impression the redesigned cover first appeared in 1946. Of course, my '45 Chief project came with the raised apron style. I am wondering, as I have not been able to find any documentation the curved apron is correct for 1945. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The late Tony Watson's '46 Chief appears in Hatfield's Resto Guide on pg. 147. The image on pg.146 is an artist retouched photo. I was unable to find any mention of the cam cover change in the book. Thanks in advance, Roger

I believe it first appeared in 1938 with the new oil pump. My 1940 Chief had that gear cover and really made the Chief motor look smooth, and refined.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks, I guess I didn't look far enough back into history. Mentioned in Hatfield's on pg. 91. And yes, I like the look of the wrap-around cover, except that its more difficult to keep that covered area clean. small price to pay for a better cosmetic improvement. And with the mag, the space between the cylinders is more visible (and very different than batt. ignition). I'm hoping for a completion date sometime before June of next year. Thanks for the help.

Comment

23e2d7700fbf787ba500e48e552e1441.jpg

This is from the 1946 Indian Assembly line. I have a bunch of Assembly line pics on my Pinterest page. Look up Bob Courboin thee and then Indian.

What I see in the pics is both covers used and from the couple clear ones it looks like battery ignition may have used the shorter cover while all the mag bikes shown have the taller cover,

Comment

This one from the 1946 Assembly line shows a battery ignition bike with the tall cover.

9f1f8923206f3cc231eaa08a310fb164.jpg

Comment

Thanks cdf6333 ! The mag ignition, especially on the later skirted models, seem more scarce, while the distributor appears on so many models. any thoughts as to why the mag models appear less frequently ? My guess is because of the ease of adjustment of the points (along with the sometimes temperamental magnetos) There doesn't seem to be much information about the mag models in the Indian Rider Manuals. Mags would likely be more expensive to service, while the distributor is very easy to work on, with only points and a condenser. Yet the mag should offer a hotter spark, with no need for a battery. Seems like the mag models were pretty much phased out after the war, although I believe the mag was still an option at extra cost. Any mention in the factory "Service Shots"? anyone know the reason... vibration?, moisture issues?, ease of starting? other issues? Did issues with the mag influence sales or contribute to Indians demize ? curious by nature, thanks

Comment

Well, my opinion (for what that's worth) magnetos suck. A good magneto works great. . . Until it doesn't. Getting one rebuilt costs a small fortune, and they hate to get wet. I have 5 old bikes that have magnetos and every one of them has been an expensive, aggravating headache. Battery ignition was a gift from the motorcycle gods. Magnetos were a curse from Satan
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Interesting thoughts! I wonder if there was any relation to the wartime requirements for thousands of motorcycles and other motorized conveyances, and difficulties, perhaps that began in the depression, with companies like Edison Splitdorf not being able to supply the sudden dramatic jump in quantities that came with wartime demands?
                Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Magnetos became useless, Bonnevilles had them so you could remove the battery, and belt and save a few HP. The mag steals almost as much HP as the generator so having both is somewhat dubious. All the tall covers I have or had have the mag bushings.
                  Battery ignition was hit or miss in the 30's, but by the 40's it stole the show and is to-this-day the only ignition source.

Comment

3-4-2010 7;47;44 PM.jpg

This is the one I was looking for. Also from the 1946 Assembly Line and clearly shows a short cover with the distributor ignition.

Comment

86011 Cam Cover 1940 Chief.jpg

Part Number 86011 is listed in both the 1940 and 1941 Chief Parts Manuals

86011 Cam Cover 1938-1942 Parts Manual Chief.jpg

Same cover is also listed in the 36-42 Parts catalog.
                      Last edited by someozybloke; 08-16-2018, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Indian didn't change a part number for a change of appearance. If a part fit, it kept the same number. up to 1947 when it changed to the aluminum oil pump. So 86011 covered the tall covers and the 1946-47 short covers battery ignition only.
                        The same would be the 86030 cover for magneto, but I've never seen a 1946 or 47 Indian with a short cover and mag bushings. In 1948 the Bonne bikes had mag bushings in a short cover but I can't find a listing for that part. They only made 500 Bonnes in 48, 250 in Prairie Green and 250 in a mix of other colors.

Comment

Working...
                        X