47 chief value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 47 chief value

Need help to determine the price difference between a matching numbers basket and a non matching one, any opinion appreciated , thanks chris

Are the two baskets case Chiefs comparable in terms of the parts they both come with? Has either one had any work done to them (motors rebuilt, frame straightened)? Got photos to post otherwise it all comes down to what you want to pay and how much time and expense you'll be into them to make them road-worthy.

Matching numbers matter to a lot of folks, so if these will be resold in the near future that might be your guide.

If the non-matching bike had more original parts than the matching numbers one I'd take that one but that is my personal preference. I try to stay away from reproduction parts as much as possible.
    AMCA # 3233

Comment

Can you post a few pictures, Chris? I agree with GI, and I put a lot of value on genuine parts, even when mis-matched to a specific year. A basket case is always going to be a lot of work, time, and money but for many enthusiasts, a project is their favorite aspect of this hobby.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

The non matching pile is to me worth the sum of the useable parts.Try to get familiar with the high cost of replacement and good original parts and keep in mind that with most baskets a lot of parts will be unusable .You could easily spend 2-3k to do an engine if you do most of your own work.1k a wheel,paint and plating, it adds up quick.Not to mention stuff like gauges etc.
        With nice restored running skirted chiefs in the 16-20 range its hard to justify a basket unless you get a great deal and want to build it yourself.If thats the case spend the money on the one with good numbers.
        A non matching restoration could be worth 25% less. Tom

Comment

Tom's advice is very solid especially with a post-war Chief, they rarely top 30K fully restored with matching numbers and most have been in and around low to mid 20's from what I've seen sell on eBay.

If the mismatch basket case has the same year motor and frame I wouldn't discount it very much especially if it has a lot of the nice correct parts and sheetmetal. If it has a later 50-53 motor that might actually be a big plus, they have some nice driveline improvements with the Torque Envenor.
          Last edited by Green Indian; 07-23-2018, 06:58 PM.
          AMCA # 3233

Comment

Working...
          X