blowing fuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blowing fuses

Some time back I installed a fuse on the ground from the battery. Had a 20 amp fuse [which I beleave is to hi], and it let the battery fry before blowing. I'm guessing that a 10 amp fuses would be about right I think I'll look at the key switch first.

Howdy sir,

6 volt stock charging system I presume and taking the usual precautions with its limited capability, ie, not running spotlight(s) with the lights on? Also you didn’t mention battery type (LA, gel, AGM or lithium iron). or whether a cutout or a mechanical/electronic regulator. You can fry any of the latter three types with a cutout or mechanical regulator system which in some cases the fuse only blowing in the final throes of battery death as it shorts internally.

15amps is more than enough, I run a 15A on the battery and then a 10A minifuse inside my old regulator now gutted and converted to a PODtronics electronic regulator on a two brush conversion. Though I run 19A on my magneto equiped machine’s have not tried it on a battery ignition type.
    Cheerio,
    Peter
    1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Originally posted by PRG View Post
      Howdy sir,

6 volt stock charging system I presume and taking the usual precautions with its limited capability, ie, not running spotlight(s) with the lights on? Also you didn’t mention battery type (LA, gel, AGM or lithium iron). or whether a cutout or a mechanical/electronic regulator. You can fry any of the latter three types with a cutout or mechanical regulator system which in some cases the fuse only blowing in the final throes of battery death as it shorts internally.

15amps is more than enough, I run a 15A on the battery and then a 10A minifuse inside my old regulator now gutted and converted to a PODtronics electronic regulator on a two brush conversion. Though I run 19A on my magneto equiped machine’s have not tried it on a battery ignition type.
      You guessed it Pete, Mechanical regulator fried. was going to convert to 12 volt this winter. I'm not waiting more on the 6 volt system,so i'm changing over now.

Comment

Working...
      X