King Clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Clutch

The King Clutch will not release. Stays in the compressed position even with the primary cover off. This is on a 84 inch ,1947 sidecar rig. Installed a 12 volt electric start and the start turns the transmission shaft OK.

#1-Can I take 1 disc out?

#2-replace one with a thin stock disc?

#3- Shim up behind the outer compression plate?

#4-Remove one of the steel discs?

I don't have the clearance that is recommended by the book.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help. Ben

Ben, is this a problem that developed over time, or have you installed a new clutch?

Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by bbeberness View Post
      The King Clutch will not release. Stays in the compressed position even with the primary cover off. This is on a 84 inch ,1947 sidecar rig. Installed a 12 volt electric start and the start turns the transmission shaft OK.

#1-Can I take 1 disc out?

#2-replace one with a thin stock disc?

#3- Shim up behind the outer compression plate?

#4-Remove one of the steel discs?

I don't have the clearance that is recommended by the book.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help. Ben
      New clutch. Worked ok for about a mile and then didn't release to disengage. Installed same thing in a 1939 chief with no problems.

Comment

. Worked ok for about a mile and then didn't release to disengage. Installed same thing in a 1939 chief with no problems.

Comment

One thing to check, the clutch worm turns in and out via the threads on the worm engaging with the threads on the "nut" that's pressed into the outer primary cover. That "nut" is serrated to grab the aluminum cover to keep it from spinning, but if the "nut" doesn't stay put and can move then you won't get full disengagement. Don't know about King clutch packs, but you have to have that gap between pressure plate and clutch plate to get full disengagement.
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
            One thing to check, the clutch worm turns in and out via the threads on the worm engaging with the threads on the "nut" that's pressed into the outer primary cover. That "nut" is serrated to grab the aluminum cover to keep it from spinning, but if the "nut" doesn't stay put and can move then you won't get full disengagement. Don't know about King clutch packs, but you have to have that gap between pressure plate and clutch plate to get full disengagement.
            I don't have the clearance that is required. this is only the second time that I have used a King Clutch. I have been told that with the 84 inch engine that I should not remove any of the plates. Like I said the one that I put into the the '39 Chief works great. I am beginning to believe that the clutch basket is the short one used in the early years. Every other thing that you mentioned were installed properly. I have several baskets on the shelf so I guess I will check and see if I have a one that is deeper.
            Thanks for your input. I appreciate you taking the time to try to address my problem. Ben

Comment

Working...
            X