Chief transmission case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief transmission case

I have a Chief transmission case that I am trying to sell and I would like to know what vintage it is. Anybody have any pointers?

Thanks Jerry

G,day Jerry ,the 20s transmission have a dowel under the 2 top bolt mounts ,i know 40s didnt ..Rob ,photo

Comment

Here it is.

Originally posted by hairynob24 View Post
      G,day Jerry ,the 20s transmission have a dowel under the 2 top bolt mounts ,i know 40s didnt ..Rob ,photo
      Attached Files

Comment

It will fit 34-53.Not sure when the square mounting tabs first appeared rather than the rounded tabs.Maybe 40-48?
        I think 50-53 would have not have the two I/2 inch holes to the primary case.
        Tom
        Last edited by tfburke3; 07-03-2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
          It will fit 34-53.Not sure when the square mounting tabs first appeared rather than the rounded tabs.Maybe 40-48?
          I think 50-53 would have not have the two I/2 inch holes to the primary case.
          Tom
          Ok Thanks.

Comment

This may help narrow it down.

https://advrider.com/index.php?threa...#post-16808535

trans.jpg

Comment

I know that the 1940 Chief trans cases was not reinforced. That info came from Toney Watson. I've wondered what year that rib was cast into the trans case. I tend to think it was after 1945 as Chief development was not a priority for Indian during the war.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

That looks like my 48 case, the casting numbers are the same and the holes in the primary side are too.

Comment

Working...
                X