Ignition switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition switch

I bought an ignition switch for my 44 Chief (about 20 years ago)and it doesn't seem to work, there was no continuity between any of the terminals. Now the problem, I drilled out the hollow rivets to check inside and when it came apart everything went everywhere. Does anyone know what goes where and which terminals should be joined in all the switch positions. My switch has 4 connections on the top and 4 on the bottom. I have been using a Harley switch up until now, I just thought I would have a go at getting the original working.

I have re-built quite a few of these. It helps if you are a person with 3 hands, but it can be done with 2. Is your switch an original or a re-production? I usually do not drill out the rivets. I like to work the bakelite ring off of to get to the internals. Let me know which switch you have and a list of the all the internal parts. Feel free to PM me if you would like.

Comment

Rowdy, these might help if you don't already have them. The hand drawn one is for the Universal switch, I captured it from this site I think and I don't know who to credit for the drawing, sorry!

Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thanks for that, my switch looks like the drawing, except that my number 5 is a screw terminal just like the other ones. My bigger problem is that when I was putting it all back together the whole thing exploded and I lost one of the arrow shaped brass bits that goes on the end of the spring. Does anyone have one of those? Or better still a complete base. My switch is an original Indian one, complete with key, although I'm not sure if its right for a 1944 civilian Chief

Comment

Starklite sells a perfect re-production switch. They also sell most of the internal parts individually. They work fine in original switches.

Comment

Thanks for all the help. The switch is all back together now and working as it should, I managed to make the brass arrow shaped part that I lost.

Comment

Hi guys. Thought maybe this would be a good post to ask this question. My ignition switch is at least 29 years old. 1947 Indian was worked on many times by my dad. He passed away in 1989. My wife and I rode it in 1992 to Sturgis when the bottom end gave way. After 26 years, I have completely gone through it and am about ready to start it up. The ignition switch works and is wired and ready to go, but turns so hard, I'm afraid it will break when I force it. Would it be appropriate to spray graphite in the opening to lubricate it or is there another procedure for this type of switch?
              Thank You.

Comment

Originally posted by larrymgibson View Post
                Would it be appropriate to spray graphite in the opening to lubricate it or is there another procedure for this type of switch?
                Thank You.
                Larry, it shouldn't hurt anything, if that tumbler has been idle for 26 years then it could probably use some lubrication! They're not that complex, so if you venture to take it apart just beware of the spring loaded brass contacts....they fly pretty far!

Comment

I've heard good advice that those switches should be disassembled in a clear plastic baggie.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
                    Larry, it shouldn't hurt anything, if that tumbler has been idle for 26 years then it could probably use some lubrication! They're not that complex, so if you venture to take it apart just beware of the spring loaded brass contacts....they fly pretty far!
                    Thanks. I will try it.

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                      I've heard good advice that those switches should be disassembled in a clear plastic baggie.
                      Good idea! I have used zip lock bags for many things. That is a new one. I've had tiny springs fly away never be seen again.

Comment

Originally posted by larrymgibson View Post
                        The ignition switch works and is wired and ready to go, but turns so hard, I'm afraid it will break when I force it. Would it be appropriate to spray graphite in the opening to lubricate it or is there another procedure for this type of switch?
                        Thank You.
                        It seems that introducing an electrical conductor like graphite in an ignition switch might cause internal shorting. It may be better to use a lubricant that is designed for electrical switches.
                        George Tinkham
                        Springfield, IL
                        www.virmc.com
                        AMCA # 1494
                        1941 Indian 841
                        1948 Indian Chief
                        1956 H-D KHK
                        1960 CH
                        1964 BMW R69S
                        1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
                        1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Originally posted by Coolbreeze View Post
                          It seems that introducing an electrical conductor like graphite in an ignition switch might cause internal shorting. It may be better to use a lubricant that is designed for electrical switches.
                          That is a very good point. I hadn’t considered that.

Comment

Larry, here's some pictures of the inner workings, I replaced the tumbler because I didn't have a key, but I think if you lube it from from the top through the key slot with a conservative amount of graphite it should be okay?

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
                              Larry, here's some pictures of the inner workings, I replaced the tumbler because I didn't have a key, but I think if you lube it from from the top through the key slot with a conservative amount of graphite it should be okay?

A conservative amount of graphite has been applied to the key slot. It seems to work more easily now. Stay tuned and thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X