46 thru 48 Chief Forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 46 thru 48 Chief Forks

Can anyone tell me where to look for a schematic blueprint for '48 Chief forks? I have a set that appear straight, but the rim isn't centered in the fork when the wheel has the correct offset. I just can't see that these forks are damaged.
    This request is an offshoot from my previous request for information on the rim offset.
    Has anyone else ever run into this problem before?
    Thanks
    Sam Romeo #2741

Maybe post a pic.
    Does the rear wheel fit,they interchange.
    Is the fork symmetrical?Even it its bent the spacing would be the same and you would notice that the axle and drum bearing support didn't align,or the fork was bending as you tightened up the axle or pinch bolts wouldn't align without spreading or squeezing( a little is ok)

Tom

Comment

Sam
      I think it would be easy to check for straight if the fork is off the bike. Lay it on a table and mark the ends of the shaft holes and the axle holes on the table. Then flip the fork over, if it's straight the fork will fit into the H type marks you made. They rarely bend side to side, usually bent back from hitting something.
      BTW, I find and for 40+ years used 5/16" offset on my late Chief wheels. Here's a pic of a good orig I have here. The other side offset is about 3/8" as the rim and hub aren't exactly the same width.

IMG_1798.JPG

Comment

Howdy Sir,

As Bob said, the fork legs themselves are very robust and the yield point in front end collisions ends up being the 346012 lower triple tree. If you possibly think you have a side bend the quickest way to check before a frame table is merely attempt to insert your front axle sans wheel assembly through the hollow axle secured with brake assembly on the other side. If it is not centered you do indeed have an issue as Indian may have been sloppy on many things but generally got this alignment right.

You didn’t mention to which side your rim was offset, if to the right viewed from the front and not familiar with the history/innards of your left side assembly I’d go through that and make sure it is correct, bearings and all as this will affect offset, because as you know the right side of your hub bearings run on the axle permitting great latitude on offset.
        Cheerio,
        Peter
        1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Straightening forks is fun, Folks!

....Cotten
          Attached Files
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
          X