Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leave it original or correct it? Help.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leave it original or correct it? Help.....

I am looking for opinions on what I should do with my chain guard. I am in the middle of a 1946 Chief and not sure what is best for an AMCA judge inspection.
    The chain guard is near perfect condition. I see that when it was stamped out ,the top area is rolled a little too strong and an obvious high ridge can be seen along the entire top edge. A coat of body filler will make it perfect. What is best for this fine machine in this near perfect world of clear coat paint and bondo? I want a near 100 point bike if possible. Any input is helpful. If you are a judge all the better !

Soooooo Once you have this 100 point MC what do you do with it?? Surely not ride it ???
    Ahhhh! If it was mine I to would leave it

Comment

Leave it. I believe factory defects are recognized as normal and acceptable.

Comment

Hey thanks for the reply. I am really leaning to the original look now. I intend to show a little and then ride. I would like some more feedback. Come on you guys !

Comment

Knuck,

Lots a' luck in judging. I think getting a post war Chief or a 1930 plus Harley judged to even 95 points would test the patience of a saint. However, in spite of making that comment I still think everyone in this club should try it. First of all it's going to be humbling, and second, it's going to be the most educational motorcycle experience you'll ever have. You will find that there is no shortage of experts and the humbling part is, they are almost always right. You will learn more about your bike than you thought possible and when it's all over you will have a great motorcycle. The important part is not to take the criticizim personally. I know that is hard, but the goal is to get a correct motorcycle and the judging process will get you there.

I put me and my 1940 Chief through the process and indeed learned a lot. When it gets ragged and worn I may try again and if I do I have a very handy "gig list" from the judges that will help me fix all of things that need to be corrected. Meanwhile, I am having a ball with the bike and ultimately, that's what the Indian Motocycle Co. wanted me to do with it.

Comment

YEA JUDGING

I THINK SOME JUDGES ARE REDICULOUS, AND I THINK ONE YEAR YOULL GET 97, YET THE NEXT YEAR GET 99. AS I DID, AND NEVER CHANGE A THING. YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT JUDGES ARE PEOPLE TOO, AND ALL PEOPLE HAVE EMOTIONS, I HAVE HAD MY 33 VLE SIDECAR RIG IN THE WINNERS CIRCLE 3 TIMES, AND KNOW THE FRUSTRATION. RULES CHANGE ALL THE TIME TOO, WHY THAT IS I AM NOT SURE, I MEAN, THE BIKE WAS BUILT ONE WAY AND COATED ONE WAY, THATS IT, NOW WHY IS IT JUDGES CHANGE OR TRY TO CHANGE THE WAY MOTORCYCLES WERE PRODUCED AND COATED OVER 70 YEARS AGO? I WONT SHOW ANY MORE MOTORCYCLES, DONE WITH TRAILER QUEENS, RATHER RIDE THE HELL OUT OF EM, LOVE EM AND ENJOY THEM, FOUND TO HAVE ALMOST AS MANY ADMIRERS AT MY MACHINES AS THIER WERE JEALOUS PICKERS AT A SHOWING, TOO MUCH POLITICS FOR ME, I AM A BIKER NOT A DRAMA QUEEN OR A POLITICIAN, RIDE IT MAN, A KNUCKLEHEAD IS THE KING OF THE ROAD IN A HARLEY GUYS EYES, MAKE IT GO THERE, NOT BEHIND A ROPE. -JEFF LEONARD

Comment

BY THE WAY I NOTICED YOURE BUILDING A CHIEF TO SHOW (SAW YOUR NAME 'KNUCK' AND THOUGHT, WELL YA KNOW), I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF A 47 BONN CHIEF, AND ANY HELP I WOULD ENJOY, SINCE THIS IS MY FIRST INDIAN, SUPRISING HOW DIFFERENT ALOT OF BELLS AND WHISTLES ARE FROM A HARLEY.

Comment

I finished the 46' knuck some years ago and this 46' Chief I got in a bunch of boxes, numbers match though. I am not sure of any thing I can offer but just ask. I am going with the original chain guard, all parts going to the painter next week. I hope to show at the AMCA meet in Dixon Ca. in June. New motor not fired up yet. I hate to start a new motor...............a little stress.

Comment

Knuck,
                  DONT FORGET!!! POST a picture for us all to see! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by exeric
                    Knuck,

...... However, in spite of making that comment I still think everyone in this club should try it. First of all it's going to be humbling, and second, it's going to be the most educational motorcycle experience you'll ever have. You will find that there is no shortage of experts and the humbling part is, they are almost always right. You will learn more about your bike than you thought possible and when it's all over you will have a great motorcycle. The important part is not to take the criticizim personally. .......
                    Not personally, it is the bike that competes against itself. Some you win some you loose.
                    Fiskis

Comment

Working...
                    X