Argo tires ever stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argo tires ever stock?

Have a 47 indian with argo tires they look original, wondering if they were stock at any time. thanks chris

I think you mean ARCO tires. They were the chopper tire of choice in the 70s and they are a good looking tire. I believe post war Rogers era Indians came with Armstrong tires, and I seem to recall reading that Ralph Rogers had a financial connection to Armstrong tire.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I loved my ARCO, Folks!

But it wasn't a "chopper".

It was for my "custom-laced hog-wheeled" 1968 450 Honda, and I miss it most.

....Cotten
      PS: A local "chopper shop" (originally opened by "Joe Alphabet") did them quite well!

Sigh.

....Cotten
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-21-2018, 03:50 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Chris, I'm only going by memory here, but I seem to remember old time AMCA Indian guys saying that the ARCO tire tread pattern was very similar to the Armstrong. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will chime in. Also, I recall Toney Watson saying that Indian offered 4.00, and 4.50 x 18 tires, and rims right up to the end in 1953 on Chiefs.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Us guys out west used to ride most our full fendered Chiefs with ARCO tires around their rims in the 70's.
          DrSprocket

Comment

Howdy chaps,

Bought my last Arco at Davenport in the late 90’s. As mentioned here...or maybe at CAIMAG, not all 5.00 x 16’s are the same (in context with the very large Firestone offered by Coker), Arco’s had a smaller overall diameter than the Taiwanese made Armstrong’s at the time, but more round in cross section. Decent mileage, burned one off the rear of my 346 in about 5,000 miles.
            Cheerio,
            Peter
            1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

ARCO was the Atlantic Richfield (oil) Company. The tires were period correct but never OEM on anything. So were Atlas (Standard Oil), General, and others of the era like Beck.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
              X