Crankcase bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crankcase bolts

I've just started putting my 1944 Chief engine back together, and most of the bolts that hold the crankcase halves together seem about 1/4 inch too short, they are all the right length according to the Greer catologue, but I only seem to be able to get nuts on with half the thread on the nut showing and if I put a spring washer on there is hardly enough thread to get the nut on. Where am I going wrong?

Are the bolts new from Greer? I mean, if a bolt is too short, there is nothing that will change that; other than replace it with one of the correct length. As I recall, I got all the motor fasteners for my '40 Chief from Beard Machine out of Lakeland, Florida. They were the correct finish and length.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

The bolts are all the correct length, as shown in the Greer catalogue, it appears as though the crank cases are too wide. I can only get the nuts half on, and that's without any washers on. If I fit a washer and a locking washer I can hardly get the nuts on at all. That's the problem.

Comment

I just mesured on my original 1937 Chief cases and the original Bolds.

First of all: as far as I can say Indian DID NOT USE spring washers or any other washers with the 1/4" engine bolds.
        Also on the original nuts and bolts the bolt is slightly too short, so the nut does not fully cover the thread of the bold.

Behind the transmisson there are 3pcs. 1/4 Bolts - the middle one is shorter and with that special care has to be taken that it does not touch the transmission case, when this is bolted onto the crankcases. Otherwise this can be harful for the transmission case .....

in clockwise direction watching from the primary case (left) side of the engine:

- the first bolt hole in the case on top (behind transmission) has a distance surface to surface of 1.77" -.the bolt for it is 2" long, the nut is 0.27" , so the but protrudes about 0.04" without a washer

- second bolt hole: 1.3" - bolt 1.5" nut 0.27" - protrudes about 0.07" w/o the a washer

- third bolt hole: same as first

- 4th: 4.134" distance surface to surface - did not mesure the bolt

- 5th: 4.134" distance surface to surface - did not mesure the bolt

- 2 engine mount bolt holes distance surface to surface: 4.25"

- 8th bolt hole distance surface to surface 1.24" - should have the same bolt as Nr.2

- 9th is a stud protruding from the right throught the left engine case between mag/coil-platform and front cylinder....

Hope this helps,
        gsottl

Comment

indianmotorcase.jpg

This is a page from the '44-'48 Indian parts book. Obviously, Indian didn't use a lockwasher under the nut. All of the stud lengths are described as well.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
          X