timing issue help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing issue help

I have a 48 chief with no flywheel timing marks at all, I know the timing is off , I don't want to pull the front head to reset it, anyone no another " sure fire " way to time it? thanks chris

Chris!

First, print out a degree wheel you can stick on your front sprocket, and affix a pointer to the case, usually at a convenient screw hole.

Then gut an old sparkplug so you can glue in a few inches of very small tubing which will show a drop of oil in it, like auto pressure gauge tubing.

Just after the intake closes on the cylinder you wish to time by, you will be on the compression stroke.
    Put the 'sight gauge' in the cylinder you wish to time by, and remove the other cylinder's sparkplug.
    When you turn the motor forward and back with a wrench upon the sprocket nut, the drop of oil will rise and fall with the piston position. When the oil is at its highest point in the tube, set the degree wheel and pointer for Top Dead Center.

You may then turn the motor backwards past the specified degrees Before Top Dead Center, and then forward to the exact degree, to take up lash.

Then the timing mark can be applied to the flywheel.

I suggest a paint, not a punch...

Good luck,

....Cotten
    Attached Files
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-07-2018, 11:26 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by cscott View Post
      I have a 48 chief with no flywheel timing marks at all, I know the timing is off , I don't want to pull the front head to reset it, anyone no another " sure fire " way to time it? thanks chris

A borescope/endoscope is an easy way to see the piston position.
      Im looking to buy one in the $25 range to connect to smartphone,1/4" od with a light.
      If you want a degree wheel you can put it on top of dist shaft and divide by 2.Or set the rear cylinder to the center of intake staring to open and exhaust just closed which should be tdc and that's about 42 advanced on front comp. stroke ,so slightly retarded from there.
      Tom
      Last edited by tfburke3; 03-07-2018, 01:44 PM.

Comment

I do the old bent wire thru the sparkplug hole trick. I would have to look at the manual to get the spec but it's something like 3/16 before TDC. You bend the end of the wire 90 degrees and then the rest of it so it lays flat on the cylinder. Slowly rotate the motor around until the piston touches the wire.

Comment

thanks for all the suggestions, chris

Comment

Originally posted by cscott View Post
            I have used a piece of insulation off a low voltage wire about 7" long. Place one end in the spark plug hole and turn the engine on the compression stroke until the piece was locked in the cylinder by the piston. Be careful it is not locked by the valve. Put the distributor in the fully retarded position to where the points are just opening. This way you are timed at top dead center with the distributor timed 18 deg retarded. When running and advanced you will be advanced 36 deg BTDC which the chief calls for. Other Indians call for 15 deg on the distributor but this technique works the same way. The amount of advance is stamped on the distributor advance plate with the elongated slot.

Comment

Working...
            X