Balancing Chief Flywheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balancing Chief Flywheels

I have run into a problem trying to balance a set of Chief Z flywheels. I installed a dressed piston (w/rings, pin and clips) to one rod and let it swing in a balancing stand. This pair of flywheels isn't a matched pair, but they were all that I could come up with that I could get to less than .001 run out. One wheel has three 1/2" diameter holes in it and the other a single 5/8ths hole (both opposite the crankpin and nearly all the way thru each wheel). I started adding magnets to the wheels to get them to balance. I came up with 152 grams added to balance the assembly. Heavy metal in 1/2" x 1" sizes weights about 65 grams. That should get me back in the ballpark.
    These pistons came from Eastern maybe 10 years ago. They weigh 374 grams and the wrist pin weighs 99 grams.
    I assume these are not overly heavy.
    Is it normal to have this much weight taken from the wheels opposite the crankpin? I want to be sure that I'm not missing something here - I just don't see how even a clown could get these wheels so far out!!
    Thanks
    Sam

Original rods were lighter. original pistons were lighter, different balance factor, or combination

Comment

Original wrist pins are a lot lighter than some of the thick wall reproductions.
      Tom

Comment

When using mismatched flywheels you should find a balancer who will balance each flywheel separately first ,then the assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by tomfiii View Post
          When using mismatched flywheels you should find a balancer who will balance each flywheel separately first ,then the assembly...
          Which calls for an arbor such as shown in Tommo's last "Q&A" pics at http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...in!&highlight=...

But I gotta ask:
          Are the two wheels moving in different directions?

Thanks in advance,

...Cotten
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-23-2017, 03:17 PM.
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I spent several hours lapping the original flywheels on a mill and got them indicating .002 and .004 side to side run out on the faces. When I bolted them up, I couldn't get them any closer than .002 and .004 on the shafts. I was getting frustrated, so I bolted up a single flywheel (I didn't find it's original mate). It was .015 out on the face. I figured what the hell and bolted them up anyway (and torqued everything). They were within .002 on both shafts on the first spin. They came in to less than .0006 in 15 minutes. I knew there was another method of balancing individual wheels, but I didn't know how it was done until I read the article you referenced in http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...in!&highlight=... I've got these wheels so close on the shafts, I'm not really wanting to tempt fate and pull them apart again. Can I assume the factory method will get me in the ballpark on this one?
            While I'm waiting for business to crank up after Christmas so I can buy some heavy metal, I've been laying out the pieces to build a 1935 Chief engine. I got this thing better than 30 years ago and let it sit because of some serious problems with the cylinders. Now that I'm semi retired and have more time, I'm getting to some of my projects (like these two Chiefs and a 101 Scout). Can you recommend someone who I can call when I get bogged down on some of these restorations that is willing to answer questions? I've spent the last 45 years in the motorcycle business, but not with any Indians.
            Thanks
            Sam

Comment

Working...
            X