Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• side valve, valve spring comprssion tool wanted

hello everybody,

I am looking for a side valve , valve spring compression tool that will work on a 1946 Indian Chief 74ci flathead.
    Any information on where to obtain one will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    jeff #5191

Just google Valve spring compressor and then click on images to get an idea.

Here is a similar one to what works well for me https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...r-sold.997201/

The old shop manual does it with the cylinder sitting flat on a table with basically a bar with a loop or circle on the end and a hold down in the middle - you pull up on the bar thus pushing down on the spring retainer.
    AMCA #10930

Comment

Originally posted by Knotthed View Post
      ...The old shop manual does it with the cylinder sitting flat on a table with basically a bar with a loop or circle on the end and a hold down in the middle - you pull up on the bar thus pushing down on the spring retainer.
      Like this, Jeff!

A "cheater" piece of pipe over the lever is necessary on mine.
      (Stores away easier, along with a few other sizes.)

Otherwise a large F-clamp is easily modified.

....Cotten
      Attached Files
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-28-2017, 02:31 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Mine's a little more "hi-tech" ;-) (horseshoe bent metal strap and big C-clamp)

Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I cut a "bird's-mouth" on a 6" long piece of 1" electrical conduit. plus a drill press, and a scribe with a magnet to catch the keepers.
          But if you're trying to remove a valve without removing the cylinder head, and if you're a harley guy, then flip the bike upside down and......

Comment

I am trying to replace the valve covers because the ones that are there are banged up and hard to move upwards and even harder to move back down which makes it very hard to adjust the valves.

jeff

Comment

Working...
            X