Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'45 Chief handlebars...mounting the dimmer switch...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '45 Chief handlebars...mounting the dimmer switch...

During installation of the handlebar switches on my '45 Chief, I have discovered that the left side of the handlebars are drilled for the horn button, rather than drilled for the dimmer switch. The screw holes are too close together for the dimmer switch and things simply don't line up. Any suggestions on how to attach the dimmer switch, other than elongate the big hole and drill a new hole for the screw that won't line up correctly. I really hate to modify the bars to fit the switch cover screw holes. Greer sells several switches, from 36-46 (they are all different, and very expensive) but I don't know if the mounting holes will line up correctly. any constructive ideas will be appreciated. thanks

Originally posted by ChiefTwoKicks View Post
    During installation of the handlebar switches on my '45 Chief, I have discovered that the left side of the handlebars are drilled for the horn button, rather than drilled for the dimmer switch. The screw holes are too close together for the dimmer switch and things simply don't line up. Any suggestions on how to attach the dimmer switch, other than elongate the big hole and drill a new hole for the screw that won't line up correctly. I really hate to modify the bars to fit the switch cover screw holes. Greer sells several switches, from 36-46 (they are all different, and very expensive) but I don't know if the mounting holes will line up correctly. any constructive ideas will be appreciated. thanks
    All I can add is that my 38 chief with the bakelite high/low is 1 1/8 spacing on hold down screws,same as horn buttons.
    My 47 has 1 1/2 spacing on he h/l switch.Before 38 the h/l was in the ign. switch
    Sounds like you need an earlier switch,38-45 should fit.
    Tom

Comment

Thanks for the measurements on the 38-45 dimmer switch. I will call Greer's and double check the measurements on the switches they offer.

Comment

40-45 should have the same spacing (1 1/2") as on Tomīs 47 Chief. as only the 38/39 bakelite switch had the narrower spacing.....just found out I must have 1940-45 bars for my 439 then :-(

Comment

Appears I have the wrong bars... thats what came in a box full of parts when I bought the bike. Oh well !! I'll very likely drill the bars to fit the correct switch, because buying bars with the right holes pre-drilled is beyond good reasoning, just to fit the correct switch. Then again, putting the wrong switch on the wrong bars isn't smart either, especially when the wrong switch (the plastic one) is 4X the money just to line up the mounting holes (on the wrong 38-39 bars). When I drill the wrong bars and mount the correct switch, no one will ever know the difference, as you won't see the correction under the switch cover. I guess I'll have to go by the old saying... Sometimes, you have to make apple sauce out of horse manure... looks good, but still it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Thanks to those who responded

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefTwoKicks View Post
            Appears I have the wrong bars... thats what came in a box full of parts when I bought the bike. Oh well !! I'll very likely drill the bars to fit the correct switch, because buying bars with the right holes pre-drilled is beyond good reasoning, just to fit the correct switch. Then again, putting the wrong switch on the wrong bars isn't smart either, especially when the wrong switch (the plastic one) is 4X the money just to line up the mounting holes (on the wrong 38-39 bars). When I drill the wrong bars and mount the correct switch, no one will ever know the difference, as you won't see the correction under the switch cover. I guess I'll have to go by the old saying... Sometimes, you have to make apple sauce out of horse manure... looks good, but still it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Thanks to those who responded
            I would do the same.BTW after my post I looked in Hatfields resto guide which states that 37 was the first year h/l moved to handlebars,although they retained the same earlier switch with brt/dim ign.switch.
            Tom

Comment

Working...
            X