Indian Chief 6v Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Chief 6v Battery

Hi, I've been using the 29 Amp hour, made in India batteries for 10+ years now. I used to get them from Rocky, and I don't know if anyone else sells them. I have had good and back luck with these. But I generally have dremeled out the terminals a bit and sealed them to prevent acid from leaking out which had been the main issue. Are they still available anywhere? If not, I am consideridering switching to the hollow shell with smaller 6v battery inside. Looking for availability of the 29 Ah, and feedback on the shell setup. Thanks in advance.

Bill!

The three issues my customers found with DIXIE batteries were reversed terminals, cracking potting compound on top, and customer's tendency to fill them above the plates.
    They were also not "dry charged", and needed twenty-four hours or more on a trickle to charge.

Surely somebody scooped them up at the liquidation, and has them on ebay...
    I wonder how much are they going for now?

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-10-2017, 10:59 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

The India nos batteries are occasionally on ebay and seem to sell in the 65-85 range.They last me about 5-7 years.
      The Small 6v batters not only have much lower AH rating also have a low max charge rate so overcharging is an issue with stock cutout or regulator with most recommending an electronic regulator.
      Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom!

I better hang on to my inventory at that price...

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I bought some battery rebuild kits for the 29 AH batteries from Rocky a while ago. They were originally put together by Jim Cook. Rocky may have more left. I can get from 5-7 years on a rebuild. Plates could be removed from automotive batteries and cut to fit the Indian batteries if the ready made kits can not be found.
          Tom

Comment

Working...
          X