1940 Chief 340 - Corbin Speedometer cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 Chief 340 - Corbin Speedometer cable

Is it possible to remove the inner core from the speedometer cable to inspect and lubricate it?
    I have the larger diameter spedo cable and its in serious need of lubrication.

I have yet to find any literature on maintenance of these cables.

Bob
    Bob Beatty
    AMCA 19209

are you talking about the chain? if so unhook end & pull apart off the bike, inspect the little ball bearings & races, inspect links clean inside cable & chain. I like to lube with white lithium grease.

Comment

I don't think mine's a chain, i could be wrong, here's a photo of the two ends

1503019975270489775932.jpg
      Bob Beatty
      AMCA 19209

Comment

Hi can you pull on inner it is spring loaded & you will see start of chain. if it is a repop, it looks nice not sure how they connect ends, possible pinned. if it won't come apart soak it good with chain lube & check for binding.

Comment

I've pulled on both ends but there really doesn't seem to be any given I don't want to break it. I suspect it is a repop I've looked carefully for pinning but haven't seen anything yet. I'm away for the weekend but I'll check it on Monday when I get back and look a little closer otherwise I will just Lube it as you suggest
          Bob Beatty
          AMCA 19209

Comment

HI Bob, That looks like one of my cables. It has a hole in each end, were you can grease it. If you have a problem with it I will fix it for FREE. , marsh1915hd@msn.com
            They don't come apart.

Comment

Is there any better inner speedo cable replacement than what the re pops offer for a 46 Chief?

Comment

Originally posted by marsh1915hd View Post
                HI Bob, That looks like one of my cables. It has a hole in each end, were you can grease it. If you have a problem with it I will fix it for FREE. , marsh1915hd@msn.com
                They don't come apart.
                Thank you Mr Marsh. I have had so many compliments on this cable from people. Its an excellent piece of work. I have had to add spacers to each end otherwise the inner cable seems to be compressed. I beleive the fault is with my aftermarket spedo even though its old and good quality. I will take it apart soon and investigate closer. I may need a bit more shimming. Bob
                Bob Beatty
                AMCA 19209

Comment

I have been watching this as I have a Corbin that was rebuilt by Terry. You mentioned adding spacers on the cable. When I look at the speedo to cable interface to the speedo, it looks like the inner is a bit short of making proper engagement with the speedo. When I roll the bike the cable turns fine. The unit I am sure after Terry rebuilt it is fine. The speedo worked fine for the last 5 years or so prior to terry looking at it and then it just stopped. Could you explain how and where to add the spacers that it sounds like I need to have the end engage properly? Pic would be great if you could.
                  D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.Bagin View Post
                    I have been watching this as I have a Corbin that was rebuilt by Terry. You mentioned adding spacers on the cable. When I look at the speedo to cable interface to the speedo, it looks like the inner is a bit short of making proper engagement with the speedo. When I roll the bike the cable turns fine. The unit I am sure after Terry rebuilt it is fine. The speedo worked fine for the last 5 years or so prior to terry looking at it and then it just stopped. Could you explain how and where to add the spacers that it sounds like I need to have the end engage properly? Pic would be great if you could.
                    Hi, Yes I will take some photos and such. It will take me a bit to get to it as I am swamped this weekend, I will try to tear into it next week, its perfect as this will hopefully prod me to pull the cable for inspection since the last couple of months of riding. Bob
                    Bob Beatty
                    AMCA 19209

Comment

Working...
                    X