Remove and reseal gas tanks 46 Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove and reseal gas tanks 46 Chief

What is the best procedure to remove old Kreem (pealing and flaking) from the inside of a Chiefs gas tanks. What is the best NEW product to reseal it with?

I've had good results with acetone.
    Dale

Comment

Or paint remover

Comment

MEK worked for me!

Comment

MEK, and acetone work fine; they're just very expensive, and evaporate as fast as the money you spent to purchase them. The cheapest paste paint remover works just as well, clings to the sides, and top, and you don't have to completely fill the tank. I do repeated applications to get all the old sealer out, and then rinse with acetone to dissolve the residue. It is an extremely messy, smelly, dirty job, so have fun
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

I have done this a few times and have had good luck with paint remover. I like the paint and epoxy remover, costs more but works faster. I put a bunch of shorter drywall screws in the tank with the remover and slosh it around and rotate it to help get the stuff off. Wash it out with soap and water let it dry out and final clean with acetone before sealing. I put an airline inside the tank with low pressure flow to help dry the tank out. The last tanks I did I used Red Kote, been about 2 years with no problems. I have also used the epoxy sealer from Caswell did some about 6 years ago with no problems. I tried the Red Kote because all the people I met at the Sunshine meet swore by it and it is just one part, so no mixing, easier to use. Yes. it is an extremely messy, smelly, dirty job. Hope this helps.

Comment

I've used paint thinner & handful of pennies for scouring out tanks.

Comment

Working...
              X