Wheel building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel building

I'm building a 1944 civilian Chief and I'm just about to rebuild the front wheel, I'm using 16inch wheels and I have valanced mudguards. My problem is I can't adjust the spokes enough to get the wheel centered in the forks. If I could pull the rim over enough the spokes on the brake side would be at right angles to the rim. I have 2 inches from rim to fork on the brake side and 1 inch from rim to fork on the other. Any ideas

Both hub sides tilt towards wheel, left tilts more, check spacers.

Comment

are you sure you have the correct fork, brake drum, hollow axle and spacers? If you have some 1940 parts mixed in this causes troubles, because the 1940 fork was narrower than 1941-45.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I've found the problem. The cranked rods that run from the spring to the axle rockers (that I have just had chromed) have a different angled bend at the spring end, so the rockers are not in line, pushing the rim off centre. To get the bends the same I'll have to heat up the rods, which will mess up the new chrome....Oh well onwards and upwards!!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X