Chief kick starter sticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief kick starter sticks

Just putting my 40 chief back together, when I kick it over hard the kick starter gets stuck down and does not always mesh with the teeth on the pinion gear. I tried fileing the teeth on the kick starter to clean them up but about every 4th time it still gets stuck. The pinion gear is new but not the kick starter maybe it is worn has anyone else had this problem ? Thanks jerry

Jerry, have you oiled the ratchet, that does it for me. How many teeth on your kickstarter?
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I tried oil but that did not lmprove it very much,I have a 10 tooth kick starter,the gear is not very sharp on it.maybe a repo 12 tooth kick starter would just not sure thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jn1972 View Post
        I tried oil but that did not lmprove it very much,I have a 10 tooth kick starter,the gear is not very sharp on it.maybe a repo 12 tooth kick starter would just not sure thanks
        So I'm guessing you have a 32 tooth pinion, but what if there's a 28 tooth pinion on there? If that's the case then it might cause the same issues you're seeing. Worth checking?
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

They really don't interchange. The distance from the centerline of the kicker to the teeth are different. It will either barely mesh or bind up before you can kick it thru.

Comment

I have a 32 tooth pinion ,would a ten tooth kicker work better with a 32 tooth pinion . The kicker seems to get stuck on the last tooth thanks

Comment

Did you grease the kicker pivot?

Comment

Found an original kicker for a 1948 chief does any know if it would fit my 1940 chief. Thanks jerry

Comment

Jerry, I has this problem on a '48 Bonneville that had some serious compression and kicked over very hard. I discovered that the kick starter crank stud was bent. I replaced with Indian OEM stud.

Comment

As Bills 37 mentioned they dont interchange.10 tooth lever 32 tooth gear 10 tooth ratchet for dist.
                    11 tooth lever 28 t gear 10t ratchet for mag
                    So if its 10 tooth plunger frame it should fit.But I may be wrong.
                    Tom
                    Last edited by tfburke3; 04-04-2017, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X