Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel vise chock and drop out- a must or nice to have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel vise chock and drop out- a must or nice to have?

Ready to buy a lift table and I'd like your opinion on whether or not having the wheel chock vise and rear drop out is must or nice to have? After reading all the posts about lifts and doing some research I think I'm going to spend the extra $$ and go with a Handy, so already spending more then I planned.

I do plan on also buying a frame jack, not a Handy, and would always have the bike strapped down when on the lift so not sure if I'd need or use the drop out or vise very often?

Thanks.
    Terry

I have the wheel chock vise that came with the Handy lift and love it. My table came with the Chief project bike I bought a few years ago, it is an older Handy lift so I can not comment on the rear wheel drop out feature which I don't think they offered back then.
    AMCA # 3233

Comment

Both are a must have on a lift. I too have the older version without the drop-out and fight it every time I need to remove the rear wheel. Spend the money up front and you'll never regret it!
      20scout

Comment

Originally posted by Green Indian View Post
        I have the wheel chock vise that came with the Handy lift and love it. My table came with the Chief project bike I bought a few years ago, it is an older Handy lift so I can not comment on the rear wheel drop out feature which I don't think they offered back then.
        Originally posted by 20scout View Post
        Both are a must have on a lift. I too have the older version without the drop-out and fight it every time I need to remove the rear wheel. Spend the money up front and you'll never regret it!
        Exactly the feedback I was looking for. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 20scout View Post
          I got the Cadillac of the Handy lifts, has both the front and rear drop-out. I find I use the front more than the rear, but I use both.
          The wheel vice is mandatory, and a scissorjack is too. I laid out the silly money for the Handy scissorjack, I think it was $300. I've heard that something like an automotive Toyota jack does bout the same thing. (Not sure of the brand or details.)

Comment

."I laid out the silly money for the Handy scissorjack, I think it was $300. I've heard that something like an automotive Toyota jack does bout the same thing. (Not sure of the brand or details"

I used a $5.00 JY car scissor jack from a wrecked car, had the local machine shop weld a solid metal tube to the top of the jack as well as a solid 1/8" plate base (larger footprint) for less than $ 15 total works like a charm. I use two of them plus a 1/2" gear ratchet to raise and lower the bike.
            Last edited by Green Indian; 03-10-2017, 01:35 PM.
            AMCA # 3233

Comment

I use an old car jack but don't recall what it came off of. I don't use it very often but once again a must have. Simple tools like this make life easier!
              20scout

Comment

Howdy chaps,

Have a Handy with all three and highly recommend them: wheelchock - permits safe one person bike positioning, widen the chocks to approx tire width, roll machine onto lift, one hand on the bars and from left side crank the chock down home. scissor jack - wide broad plate on super robust flex free jack apparatus, remember you are lifting the machine further while its already elevated nearly 2 3/4 ft off the ground, stability is everything, you are not going to catch a tipping machine. Drop out - yes, on hard tails with no suspension droop the machine needn't be raised much to remove a rear wheel but factor in swing arm drop and those machines not having a raisable rear fender flap and your talking about having to lift the rear of your machine to great (unstable) height.
                Cheerio,
                Peter
                1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Have three lifts - a base model Handy (vise, no drop), a KL MC625R (vise, front and rear drop outs,extension) and a new one I got from Greg Smith Enterprises (Atlas I Think). The Handy is basic no frills - generally used for the Triumphs and Nortons. The KL is elegant - very well made. It's my lift of choice for the Pans thru the Twinkies. The GSE lift does it all - vise, front and rear drop outs, extension and side wings. While not as well engineered as the KL the entire set up was about 1100$ - same as a Handy and 1/2 the cost of the KL. The hack and the Servi (as well as the wife's ZTR mower) are accomedated. If I had to reduce down to one lift it would the the Atlas.

HTH Cooper

Comment

I've used a variety of lifts for 40+ years and never had one with a drop-out. And never missed it. I use an old style Handy these days and a have considered a HF for back-up. I also have two other jacks.
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Mine are Handy electric,I can stop at any height no swing in arm.For many jobs this option pays

Comment

Just to inform you, the Yerba Chapter raffles a K&L lift every year at the Dixon National Meet. This year the drawing will be Sat. July 17, 2017. The tickets are $5.00 each if interested in a chance contact a Chapter officer listed in the monthly magazine. The retail value of the lift $1700+. You can contact me through this thread, I think, if more info is required.
                        Joe Keenan

Comment

Thanks to everybody for all the great advice. Couldn't justify the cost for the Handy, so I went with the pneumatic Direct Lift with the vise, drop tail and a scissor lift from a local vendor so also saved some $$ on shipping.
                          I'll post a review and some pictures once I have it.

Comment

A-plus 1500# lift on ebay for $640 is a great buy. I've had one for 10 years and it works great. Tire clamp and drop out as well as a table jack come with it. These are must have in my opinion. A smooth table surface as opposed to diamond plate is much easier to clean. You'll have oil everywhere before long if your like me.

Comment

Thanks again for all the advice. I went with the Direct Lift ProCycle DT with the removable drop tail and 93" table and the jack. The distributor is local so had to pay sales tax but saved several hundred on shipping.

So far I'm really happy with the unit, but especially how great it is working on my Chief on a lift. At the point were I'll be fitting all the sheet metal so this will make things a lot easier.

Not sure how often I'll need the drop tail, but I definitely see how a good wheel vise is a must. Thanks again to everyone that responded.

Comment

Working...
                              X