No announcement yet.

Clutch sliipage on '53 Chief.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-detergent 30w, sport bike trans/primairy combo oil 20-50, I believe it doesn't get hot enough to raise oil to top level of oils rating, but in clutch it may get hotter ,but that should have minimal effect to rest of oil in unit. Oils should be listed as to work with clutch.

Comment

Howdy chaps,

Should have been clearer on the oil issue. I've separated my primary from the trans on both the 346 and 348, the aforementioned HD stuff in the primary and then real 75-90W trans/diff oil in the trans. Though at that moment nearly broke Indian saw what the torque of the 80inch motor would do to first and second gear and separated the two compartments as engine oil was totally incapable of dealing with the shear forces generated . Even 74 inch motors can benefit from this and if you run your trans level a bit higher they are also much quieter in the lower two gears. All one needs is single side sealed mainshaft bearing at the clutch basket, seal the countershaft and port in the bottom of the trans, a vented primary plug and drill and tap their trans top for a filler plug.
      Cheerio,
      Peter
      1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Thanks again guys for chiming in. Yellow53, you are very observant. The rod is a recent replacement that I got from Jerry Greer's and it is longer than the one that came on the bike. They say it is the right one and not sure why mine was shorter. I used the lower hole in the pedal to take up some of the length and I really like the way it moved the engagement point further forward, much more comfortable and it is smoother with the shorter throw on the pedal. The end of the rod just touches the arm in full rear position but I don't feel that it is interfering.

Comment

Working...
        X