Triple tree jam nuts-does this right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple tree jam nuts-does this right?

I'm starting assemble of the fork girder and the top triple tree jam nut is only threading on part way. I assuming that this isn't correct?

As show in these pics the upper steering bearing seems to be in the correct position as per the cover seating properly. And the dust shield/space for the lower bearing is flush with the end of the frame neck.

It was end of the day, but everything looked like the triple tree was as high as it would go in the frame.

Should the top jam nut be flush or close to flush with the top of the triple tree when tighten up? If so, any advice on what I should check or fix?

Thanks.
    TerryIMG_0779.jpgIMG_0780.jpgIMG_0781.jpgIMG_0783.jpg

Should the top jam nut be flush or close to flush with the top of the triple tree when tighten up? If so, any advice on what I should check or fix?
    Yes, check races are seated.

Comment

Originally posted by 1950Panhead View Post
      Yes, check races are seated.

I will double-check again to see if the lower bearing is all the way seated.

In your photo it appears there's only one nut plus the spacer?

Comment

To me it looks like your lower bearing sticks out too far (though it's hard to really tell with a small picture). Possibly not seated all the way, wrong bearing, or if it's a new sealed bearing was the old race removed?
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

BTW... two jam nuts! Here's a look at the lower bearing on mine:

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
            To me it looks like your lower bearing sticks out too far (though it's hard to really tell with a small picture). Possibly not seated all the way, wrong bearing, or if it's a new sealed bearing was the old race removed?
            Thanks for the picture, it does appear that the seal on my lower bearing does stick out a little further then your picture, but not enough to make up the difference needed for the top nut to be flush with the top of the tree.

It's not a sealed bearing and I've checked the size to the one on Geers and it appears to be correct. I also purchased the seal from Greers.
            There is no race in my frame, the bearing rides in the neck of the frame and it sure seems to be seated all the way but I must be wrong. I'll take another look at everything and will post the results.

Thanks for your help!
            Last edited by TH47Indy; 02-05-2017, 10:59 AM. Reason: added detail

Comment

No race seems wrong but I'm not certain what the old bearing was and what you put in:
              http://http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bboard/showthread.php?16959-Lower-bearing-for-steering-head-tube-on-1946-Chief&highlight=

Comment

Originally posted by TH47Indy View Post
                I'm starting assemble of the fork girder and the top triple tree jam nut is only threading on part way. I assuming that this isn't correct?

As show in these pics the upper steering bearing seems to be in the correct position as per the cover seating properly. And the dust shield/space for the lower bearing is flush with the end of the frame neck.

It was end of the day, but everything looked like the triple tree was as high as it would go in the frame.

Thanks.
                Terry[ATTACH=CONFIG]19141[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19142[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19143[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19144[/ATTACH]
                The bottom washer in the third pic should recess up into the neck casting until it is flush.

Comment

Looks like listen-bully and Bills37 have ID'ed the issue.

When I took another and better look at everything it appears that when the lower bearing is all the way in and the washer/sealer is in the washer is almost flush on one side but too low on the other side. So it appears that the bearing is not sitting correctly in the neck.

I have confirmed that the bearing is the correct size, and I can't see anything in the lower neck that looks out of place. Here's a few images inside the lower neck. Hoping there's enough detail to see whats going on.You should be able to click on a image to enlarge it slightly.
                  Please let me know if anything looks unusual or incorrect.

Thanks for the help!

TerryIMG_3632.jpgIMG_3633.jpgIMG_3634.jpgIMG_3635.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by TH47Indy View Post
                    Looks like listen-bully and Bills37 have ID'ed the issue.

When I took another and better look at everything it appears that when the lower bearing is all the way in and the washer/sealer is in the washer is almost flush on one side but too low on the other side. So it appears that the bearing is not sitting correctly in the neck.

I have confirmed that the bearing is the correct size, and I can't see anything in the lower neck that looks out of place. Here's a few images inside the lower neck. Hoping there's enough detail to see whats going on.You should be able to click on a image to enlarge it slightly.
                    Please let me know if anything looks unusual or incorrect.

Thanks for the help!

Terry[ATTACH=CONFIG]19165[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19166[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19167[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19168[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19169[/ATTACH]
                    I can't see any issues with the neck. The part # for the bearing is a SKF 7206. It should be 0.628 in. wide. The bearing should press flush against the dust washer.

Comment

but too low on the other side.
                      Buy another bearing, washer, put in neck without tree, check fit.
                      Check tree is straight.
                      Check vin on frame, pre 46 frames differ.

Comment

Working...
                      X