Wheel hub roller bearing size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel hub roller bearing size

I'm installing the roller bearings in my hubs before I take them to Buchanan's and I have a question regarding the size of the roller bearings.

When I measure the ID of the 4 bearing cages they are: 2.6", 2.58", 2.56" and 2.57".

I have a number of 24 unit sets of roller bearings and the OD sizes are: 2.485", 2.49", 2.495, 2.5" and 2.505".

Need to use 2- 24 unit sets. Geers lists their bearings at 2.500 and suggest using the 2.495 set if using all new parts. My cages are not new.

How critical is the sizing of these? and which size roller bearing would you suggest I use?

Thanks.
    Terry

How critical is the sizing of these? and which size roller bearing would you suggest I use?
    You want .001" to .002" clearance.
    If you measure inner race and outer race you can calculate the size you need or use the largest set that spins free (by testing).
    There can be some clearance in the cages, if the bearing flop in the cages replace the cages.

Comment

Originally posted by 1950Panhead View Post
      You want .001" to .002" clearance.
      If you measure inner race and outer race you can calculate the size you need or use the largest set that spins free (by testing).
      There can be some clearance in the cages, if the bearing flop in the cages replace the cages.
      Thanks for the quick advance. Since I posted I've been testing the different sizes based on that and your advice I'm going to go with the 2.500 and 2.505 bearings.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X