1940 Chief 340 Leaf Spring Front Suspension Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 Chief 340 Leaf Spring Front Suspension Setup

I am in the process of assembling my front suspension. I cant find any information except for the owners manual that states to move the leaf pack rearward for a heavy guy and forward for a light guy. hmmm I think this area should be considered very critical.
    • I believe I have the top plate positioned as it was before I dissembled (This does not mean it was right to begin with), the curved portion is hanging out free by a good amount, and the spring pack startes at about 1/2" back from where the curved portion of the top plate ends.
    • I have the rear of the spring pack positioned to the back edge of the bottom plate. (There must be measurements for initial settings I would think?)

Could anyone shed some light on the correct way to initially set the front leaf spring and the top plate?
    Bob Beatty
    AMCA 19209

Just found this:

Front Spring Replacement
    1. Raise the machine so that the wheel is just in contact with the floor.
    2. Bend down the lock washers and remove the nuts from the connecting link spring stud. Force the stud to the one side and remove the connecting link. Remove the stud and spacers to disconnect the other link. Loosen the nuts on the four (4) spring bolts at the fork and pull out the spring.
    3. Slide the new spring into position. Tighten the clamp bolt nuts. Note: For .average wight rider, back edge of the spring should be flush with the back of the fork. Move the spring to the rear to stiffen the action and move it to the front until it is even with the back of the rear bolts to soften the action of the spring.
    4. Replace the connecting link stud and spacers, and install the connecting links. Replace the nuts and lock washers. Draw the nuts as tight as possible. Check freedom of the action between spring link stud and the spring eye. Reduce the thickness of spacers if too tight. Bend the lock washers down against the connecting links and up against the side of the nuts.

Ref:Repair & Overhaul Manual "74"
    Bob Beatty
    AMCA 19209

Comment

Could anyone shed some light on the correct way to initially set the front leaf spring and the top plate?
      My leaf spring pack is 1" behind the clamp.
      Do you own other indians ?
      Are you under 125# or over 200# ?
      The preferred trick is to remove springs if you find the ride to harsh.

Comment

Originally posted by 1950Panhead View Post
        My leaf spring pack is 1" behind the clamp.
        Do you own other indians ?
        Are you under 125# or over 200# ?
        The preferred trick is to remove springs if you find the ride to harsh.
        I am 200# and probably growing, grin. I think i will set it up a bit back from the clamp maybe 1/2 " and see how she rides. I can see it 's pretty easy to adjust it to dial in my particular desires. I will be dragging a sidecar around from time to time as well but generally just to satisfy my granddaughters.
        Bob Beatty
        AMCA 19209

Comment

I am by no means a heavyweight but I set the leaf spring pack on my 440 right to the rear for a stiffer ride. I found that set for a soft ride it bottoms out far too easily on bumps with the result of the axle head and nut ramming against the back of the fork tubes. Tom AMCA 381

Comment

Working...
          X