1940 Chief 340 Frame specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 Chief 340 Frame specs

Restoring my 340 chief. It originally came to me with a spread between the upper shock center to center (nipple to nipple) of 12 7/8" I am looking at a drawing which I think is correct, using magnifying glass and I think it says the distance is 12.25"

Could someone provide the specs for the frame?

My concern started when I went to install the rear axel, what was in there before was (left to right looking fwd from rear of bike); left slipper, adjusting block, SPACER (5/8"), tack drive, wheel hub, brake drum, brake backing plate and right slipper.

I fear that the spacer is going to be a problem, and when someone confirms the 12.25" measurement I am going to be very sad as will have to find a way to squeeze the frame the distance of the SPACER without major distortion. (Bike is now 80% back together)

Bob
    Bob Beatty
    AMCA 19209

It originally came to me with a spread between the upper shock center to center (nipple to nipple) of 12 7/8
    This is the correct distance.
    Different spacers are used for front and rear speedo drive.

My concern started when I went to install the rear axel, what was in there before was (left to right looking fwd from rear of bike); left slipper, adjusting block, SPACER (5/8"), tack drive, wheel hub, brake drum, brake backing plate and right slipper.
    How wide is this collection ?
    Last edited by 1950Panhead; 12-08-2016, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NiteOwl View Post
      Restoring my 340 chief. It originally came to me with a spread between the upper shock center to center (nipple to nipple) of 12 7/8" I am looking at a drawing which I think is correct, using magnifying glass and I think it says the distance is 12.25"

Could someone provide the specs for the frame?

I fear that the spacer is going to be a problem, and when someone confirms the 12.25" measurement I am going to be very sad as will have to find a way to squeeze the frame the distance of the SPACER without major distortion. (Bike is now 80% back together)

Bob
      One of the indicators of the correct length assembly between the slippers is when the hollow axle nut is tightened locking down the backing plate and axles are parallel and you tighten the axle nut by hand you should see no gaps in the wheel adjuster to spacer.Tight in front is to long,tight in back to short.You don't want the tightening of the axle nut to move anything,which will be the plunger shafts bowing.Also check that the plungers are parallel.
      Tom

Comment

The left chain adjusting plate 42480 can be in different thicknesses for width adjustment.

Comment

OK, first, thank you all this is good information. Please correct me if I am wrong in any of my following assumptions:

My drawings do not show a spacer at all so that was my initial concern. I also did not know that I could have different adjusting plates available in different thicknesses.

So I have taken the information above and come to terms with myself that its ok to have a spacer. Here are some photos of my original setup using tfburk3's method of hand tightening and looking for gaps.
          20161208_145808[1].jpg 20161208_145818[1].jpg 20161208_150355[1].jpg 20161208_150432[1].jpg 20161208_150845[1].jpg

See next message fro continuation and more pictures....
          Bob Beatty
          AMCA 19209

Comment

I did find a gap at the front of my adjuster and so then started looking around in my parts baskets and found many spacers, so many that I am puzzled as to what they are all for. The first row has an ID that works for the rear axle, the inner row of spacers has a smaller ID.

20161208_154553[1].jpg

So I ended up using a couple smaller spacers like the two in the front row on the right of the picture, this seems to give me the correct amount of contact for the adjuster and also leaves me enough "meat' for the axle nut and lock washer to fit properly.

This all started when I used the bigger spacer and then noticed how close the chain is to my kicker stop, its soooo close like perhaps 18" away from it. this really seems wrong. I have attached a photo.

20161208_154613[1].jpg

I will edit this message in a minute with the final photos of my setup

20161208_174121[1].jpg 20161208_174100[1].jpg 20161208_174108[1].jpg

I am sorry, I don't know why the pictures are rotated. I also cant see how to fix it, they showed fine on my camera dn on my computer screen....
            Last edited by NiteOwl; 12-08-2016, 08:15 PM.
            Bob Beatty
            AMCA 19209

Comment

Originally posted by NiteOwl View Post
              I did find a gap at the front of my adjuster and so then started looking around in my parts baskets and found many spacers, so many that I am puzzled as to what they are all for. The first row has an ID that works for the rear axle, the inner row of spacers has a smaller ID.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18784[/ATTACH]

So I ended up using a couple smaller spacers like the two in the front row on the right of the picture, this seems to give me the correct amount of contact for the adjuster and also leaves me enough "meat' for the axle nut and lock washer to fit properly.

This all started when I used the bigger spacer and then noticed how close the chain is to my kicker stop, its soooo close like perhaps 18" away from it. this really seems wrong. I have attached a photo.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18785[/ATTACH]

I will edit this message in a minute with the final photos of my setup

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18788[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]18786[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]18787[/ATTACH]

I am sorry, I don't know why the pictures are rotated. I also cant see how to fix it, they showed fine on my camera dn on my computer screen....
              You need to resolve any brake side issues before you continue to what we have been talking about.
              Do you have the correct spacer between the hollow axle and the backing plate?
              Is the backing plate surface where the spacer contacts worn as either would allow the drum and sprocket to move to the right.
              Also eyeball the sprocket alignment to see if it looks straight.
              Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
                You need to resolve any brake side issues before you continue to what we have been talking about.
                Do you have the correct spacer between the hollow axle and the backing plate?
                Is the backing plate surface where the spacer contacts worn as either would allow the drum and sprocket to move to the right.
                Also eyeball the sprocket alignment to see if it looks straight.
                Tom
                Hi - I have pulled apart the brake, I think I have it assembled correctly with the appropriate parts and spacers.
                I believe the spacer between the hollow axle and backing plate is correct, its in the picture. (I hope we are talking about the same part).

Re the backing plate:
                • the outside next to the slipper does not have a spacer, should it have one or should I consider one here?
                • the inside seems to fit fine to the hollow shaft.

The sprocket alignment looks good now that I have those two smaller spacers fitted to the left adjuster.

Initially I started this thread because I was definitely out of alignment without spacers and in no material I have available to me can I find reference to spacers.

20161210_123250[1].jpg 20161210_103658[1].jpg 20161210_103723[1].jpg 20161210_103750[1].jpg
                Bob Beatty
                AMCA 19209

Comment

in no material I have available to me can I find reference to spacers.
                  Do you have a parts manual ?
                  800001 narrow spacer for use with rear wheel corbin drive.
                  800016 wide spacer for use without corbin drive.
                  http://kiwimotorcycleparts.com/html%...0(1946-53).htm

Comment

You can turn your trans sprocket over with recess towards trans.

Comment

Originally posted by 1950Panhead View Post
                      Do you have a parts manual ?
                      800001 narrow spacer for use with rear wheel corbin drive.
                      800016 wide spacer for use without corbin drive.
                      http://kiwimotorcycleparts.com/html%...0(1946-53).htm
                      My bike is a 1940 With Corbin Drive.
                      I am confused, sorry for that, I am looking at a starklite parts manual and it quotes: " Part 800001 (1940-1945 Does not use a Center Axle Spacer)"

I did some digging through Kiwi and found a drawing, basically the same as the one you sent fro my 1940 model and it states a spacer part # 800001 Link here yay, you nailed it for me thank you, I will get one on order and re-evaluate my measurements. Thanks everyone, I think/hope this has it...

OH, and for the record I have been using Greer's site and the drawing on this page does not even whisper there might be a spacer and I guess this is what got me all concerned in the first place about the distance overal between the rear frame shock mounts.. Jerry Greers 1940 rear axle link here I will shoot him a note about this.
                      Last edited by NiteOwl; 12-11-2016, 10:59 PM.
                      Bob Beatty
                      AMCA 19209

Comment

I will shoot them and buy a parts manual.
                        Great idea ! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Indian-Motor...41d6lA&vxp=mtr

Comment

Originally posted by 1950Panhead View Post
                          I don't know why you would mis quote me above, however thank you i will check the link.
                          Bob Beatty
                          AMCA 19209

Comment

Working...
                          X