Do these look original?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do these look original?

These are listed as original and I like the patina look. Still thinking about the color and style of how I'm going to paint my '47 Chief, but with one of the options I'm considering these would look great as is.

Let me know if these look original.
    Thanks!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/201690844662...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Originally posted by TH47Indy View Post
    These are listed as original and I like the patina look. Still thinking about the color and style of how I'm going to paint my '47 Chief, but with one of the options I'm considering these would look great as is.

Let me know if these look original.
    Thanks!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/201690844662...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    To me they look like originals that have been painted.No patina that I see,maybe under the paint.
    Tom

Comment

That is patina....it is brass/copper that has patina. This is the material the badges are made off - the chrome is polished off as I described in the listing. The rear still has all the chrome on it. There is no paint where it does not belong..........you see - it is my listing.

I have a second set with red background and more chrome left on the front in case you prefer that - this was the more common option in 1947 I would say.
      Last edited by gsottl; 10-22-2016, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gsottl View Post
        That is patina....it is brass/copper that has patina. This is the material the badges are made off - the chrome is polished off as I described in the listing. The rear still has all the chrome on it. There is no paint where it does not belong..........you see - it is my listing.

I have a second set with red background and more chrome left on the front in case you prefer that - this was the more common option in 1947 I would say.
        Welll I guess its hard to tell from computer pic,but I am more familiar with copper and brass having green tones in the patina from natural wear and oxidation,not such a uniform brown/red .
        I missed the part about chrome being polished off which makes sense if someone tried to achieve a look,rather than the result of natural wear and aging.
        Tom

Comment

Yes, I agree - someone must have polish it off. The occidation is more an aging of inside storage in this state, so the surface just got darker and has no green occidation. in the very edges to the paint there still is some small spots of chrome.

Comment

The correct factory finish would have been the chrome plated with red paint in-between the letters.
            AMCA # 3233

Comment

Not sure if this is the case on late model Indians (1952/53) as well.........I am quite coniced they had other background colors including back too.

Comment

Does anyone know for sure what the difference between 524010 (Insignia Right) and 524011 (Insignia Left) is? I have always guessed slight curvature difference to fit on the tanks, one side having the Indian capital I on the bigger part of the tank and the other having the Indian capital I on the smaller end of the tank. But don't know definitively. I can't tell from this set. They seem identical. Or maybe they are both L or both R?

Here are some originals with the red background still in tact. Indian Badge 1.jpgIndian Badge 2.jpgIndian badge.jpg
                Last edited by Bill Huth; 11-29-2016, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Hi,
                  From an engineering note made on December 1, 1950: "The "Indian" nameplate on the gasoline tanks will be made with a Black background instead of the present Red. Red plates can be used to depletion on red motorcycles." This pretty much means that most 1950 and earlier Chiefs will have nameplates with a red background. 1951 and later Chiefs will have nameplates with black backgrounds, but some early red 1951 Chiefs will have red backgrounds until all the red ones are used up. When exactly the red background nameplates ran out isn't known with certainty.

Comment

Working...
                  X