Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just picked up an Indian frame...............................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just picked up an Indian frame...............................

so is there any way to positively identify the year. I think it's possibly a '46 or '47 Chief frame, but it's just a guess. Here's a quick pic of when I bought it earlier today. It came from a building that was an Indian dealership years ago. Rear shock threads are kinda' rusty, are there taps? Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited by FUUN063; 09-26-2016, 06:37 PM.

It's a bit hard to see from here, but is the top rear fender brace flat steel? If it's flat steel, it's a '48 frame, if it's tubing, it's earlier.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
      It's a bit hard to see from here, but is the top rear fender brace flat steel? If it's flat steel, it's a '48 frame, if it's tubing, it's earlier.
      And there's also a difference in the mount that supports the cylinder heads to the frame, and the shifter tube on older frames is cast, newer frames welded. But can you read the frame serial number? It's located on the LH rear lower spring mount.
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Hi,
        The frame serial number would certainly nail down the frame's year. For 1948, there was a hole in the top tube for the front wheel drive speedometer, so the frame is not 1948. The solid steel brace that was welded in place by the seat post happened around 3482500. Earlier frames for 1948 still had the round tube that was brazed on. The clincher is the bracket for the upper cylinder brace. The change from the saddle bracket to the full wrap-around bracket happened around machine 3464000. This tells me that the frame is a 1946 Chief frame with a serial number somewhere lower than 3464000 (approximately). The header pipe bracket is also not the 1945 type, and the steering head looks smaller (shorter) than the 1945 type; all of which agrees with the frame being an earlier 1946 unit. Some 1946 Chief frames also had the hole drilled for the earlier fork lock, but the hole is typically plugged with a pop-in type plug (the hole would be on the opposite side of the frame than what is pictured).

Comment

I can't read the number which is why I posted here. Also, the rear fender mount is the round pipe, brazed in style tube. A different pic (sorry, they are the only two pics I took as I was at the gas station at the time and wanted something, haha). Anyone have a lead on a tap to clean up the rear shock threads? Thanks for the info.

ETA: Fork lock hole is plugged or never drilled. Hard to tell now, gotta sandblast to tell.

Last edited by FUUN063; 09-26-2016, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Hi,
            The second picture doesn't really change my thinking that the frame is a 1946 unit probably 3464000 or earlier. Light sand blasting might help clean up the threads in the lower rear spring frame casting. If you are going to use the frame, you either now have or are going to get the lower spring center shaft/housing retaining cups. Those cups will have a thread that matches the frame thread. Threading the cups into the frame repeatedly, will help clean and match the threads. There are some liquid rust removers on the market, that might be helpful also.

Comment

It looks like the lower left tube has a crack, maybe a freeze crack, behind the rear footboard casting. The frame looks very rusty. I would examine the lower tubes carefully. Very often, water collects in the lower tubes and rust weakens them. I had to replace my entire lower tubes on my '48. Just a heads up. Chris

Comment

Yes, the one lower tube has been frozen and spread slightly. Both bottom tubes are getting replaced with new tubing, pinned and brazed back into place.

Comment

After a little cleaning of the left side lower shock threaded mount, I have found some numbers under the crud and old paint! It looks like #346-1979 is the actual frame number. So, the person who chimed in earlier in this post stating that he believed the frame to be an early 1946 was correct. Thanks to all.

Last edited by FUUN063; 10-02-2016, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Hi,
                    1946 Chief 3461979 looks good. The early 1946 Chiefs don't have a very high survival rate for some reason. The closest surviving 1946 Chief I know of to 3461979 is 1946 Chief 3462018. All that is left of 3462018 is just a couple of rear frame pieces. This is all that is left of 3462018.jpg1946 Chief 3462018.jpg

Comment

Well, today I got the lower frame tube cut out, replaced and brazed back into proper place along with the rear footboard mount.

Comment

Working...
                      X