Clutch Pedal Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Pedal Question

Hi All, I have a 39 Chief and the clutch engages almost when the peal in pressed fully back which is ok but the pedal gets stiff just before it is engaged making it harder to make smooth starts in first gear. Is this normal, is there a way to make the clutch easier to push in and out. I have the spring pretty lose already but it is still stiff just as the clutch engages. Hope this makes sense Any ideas are much appreciated.Thanks

Originally posted by chief39 View Post
    Hi All, I have a 39 Chief and the clutch engages almost when the peal in pressed fully back which is ok but the pedal gets stiff just before it is engaged making it harder to make smooth starts in first gear. Is this normal, is there a way to make the clutch easier to push in and out. I have the spring pretty lose already but it is still stiff just as the clutch engages. Hope this makes sense Any ideas are much appreciated.Thanks
    Most likely in my opinion if the worm assembly is in good condition the clutch may have been installed to thick.My backyard setting is so the pressure plate laying over the studs is just shy of showing some thread on the studs.
    Did it ever work right?
    Tom

Comment

The clutch works as it should it is really just the clutch pedal that is stiff just at the point the clutch engages I want to make the pedal movement not so stiff.As the pedal gets to the end of it travel it gets stiff and harder to move small amounts.

Comment

Originally posted by chief39 View Post
        The clutch works as it should it is really just the clutch pedal that is stiff just at the point the clutch engages I want to make the pedal movement not so stiff.As the pedal gets to the end of it travel it gets stiff and harder to move small amounts.
        Maybe the actuator lever is too far "around the clock" towards 3 o'clock?
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I will check tonight it is possible thanks

Comment

I was thinking one possibility is the lever is too close to the 3 o'clock position, and when you heel down to rotate the lever then the clevis binds against the lever because of the sharp angle. Worth a look!

Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

That happens on my 39 when the clutch pedal friction washer (composite material) is a bit dry. If I lightly lube this it frees up and makes for smoother operation.

Comment

I have been riding my 1948 Chief for over 25 years, 62K miles. I know this may sound silly, but change the shoes you are wearing. When I wear shoes with heels like my work boots the clutch action is smooth. When I wear flat soles the clutch action is not so smooth. The extra thickness of the heel keeps me from having to move my ankle too far.

Dave

Comment

my '36 Chief clutch is doing the exact same thing... I'm thinking maybe the throw-out bearing is the culprit. Possibly, the worm assembly is slightly galled on the primary cover, (I've seen alot of the worm gears laying around at the swap meets (theres a reason you see them for sale on the tables). I'm prepared for any possibility, just wondering if anyone has experienced similar conditions. seems like there is a slight sticking just as the clutch becomes fully engaged, or just as you begin to dis-engage, at the very moment you apply pressure on the throw-out bearing. haven't taken it apart yet, but I hope to find evidence of why the clutch feels grabby. I will look more carefully at the friction disc, but I'm thinking the problem is in the worm assembly somewhere. this thread is helpful. thanks.

Comment

I put King clutch plates in all my bikes. Eliminated the problem you have. I had the same situation until replacing the clutch plates.

Comment

Hope someone knows what this is ,as my friends '48 did same thing ,so he being an hd rider switched it to work like a hd toe to go and it seemed to work ok then.

Comment

Working...
                      X