48 chief frame change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 chief frame change

does anyone know at what production number the frame change was made where the rear cross member was changed ? thanks chris

46 and 47 have round tube fender mount, 48 has solid steel bracket bent to fender shape.

Comment

this was a running change in 48 about half had tube and half flat bracket, looking for the production number the round ended and the flat began, thanks

Comment

Hi,
        The frame cross member under the seat was brazed-in on early 1948 and earlier frames. The first 1948 Chief frame with the welded-in curved cross member was no later than 3482951 and it was possibly earlier. Frame 3482498 had the tubular straight cross member. All 1946 and 1947 Chief frames have the straight tubular frame cross member. Unfortunately, I can't get closer than that with the photos I have. The dates of production of machines CDH3500 to CDH4000 is approximately Dec. 26, 1947 to Jan. 5, 1948. That is about 250 machines a week. Working backwards, the date of the production change for the solid steel frame bracket would be approximately early December, 1947.

Comment

thanks , that's what I needed to know , thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow53Chief View Post
            Hi,
            The frame cross member under the seat was brazed-in on early 1948 and earlier frames. The first 1948 Chief frame with the welded-in curved cross member was no later than 3482951 and it was possibly earlier. Frame 3482498 had the tubular straight cross member. All 1946 and 1947 Chief frames have the straight tubular frame cross member. Unfortunately, I can't get closer than that with the photos I have. The dates of production of machines CDH3500 to CDH4000 is approximately Dec. 26, 1947 to Jan. 5, 1948. That is about 250 machines a week. Working backwards, the date of the production change for the solid steel frame bracket would be approximately early December, 1947.
            Hatfields resto guide notes the running change march 48,(middle of 48 model production)
            Tom

Comment

Working...
            X