battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery

I have a '46 Chief that I keep on a battery tender , wondering why the 6-volt batteries for them are small with a shell over them . Why not a larger battery without a shell ?

Originally posted by gator1 View Post
    I have a '46 Chief that I keep on a battery tender , wondering why the 6-volt batteries for them are small with a shell over them . Why not a larger battery without a shell ?
    I believe the only large battery similar to the original are the made in India repros available from several sources.They have a reputation for leaking,but some people seal the terminals better before filling to address this.
    The larger battery is better suited to the original charging system than smaller lead acid batteries,and the AGM type usually require electronic voltage regulation(stock 46 has no voltage regulation) due to their low max charge rate.
    Tom

Comment

Hi,
      Yes, there is no high quality reproduction Indian battery on the market for the 1940-53 Chiefs. The battery in a shell works, but has relatively small capacity. What I run, and works quite well, is the tall Harley 6V battery (H2, #66006-29F, rated at around 20 Amp/hours, about $80.00). It isn't stock, but it is a fairly trouble-free lead/acid unit, and is readily available from Harley dealers still - I get about 3 years out of a battery. Due to the battery height, the stock frog on top won't fit, but a custom hold-down is a relatively simple item to fabricate. On my 1953 Chief, the battery tray is lower and the tall battery fits easily. A custom hold down still has to be made, but I want a battery with sufficient capacity to tolerate idling - when the stock system won't charge. Somebody might tool-up for a high quality original-type battery, but it hasn't happened yet. I have attached a photo of the Harley battery in my 1953 Chief. I added the ammeter so I can monitor the system a little better. Tall Harley battery in 1953 Chief CS6688.jpg

Comment

The trick, but expensive, fix is a combination of an electronic regulator (perfectly hidden in an Autolite regulator) and a lithium ion battery stashed in the battery shell. Gene Harper makes the regulators, which require removal of the 3rd brush from the generator. This turns them into a slightly more modern shunted generator.
        The lithium ion batteries are tiny, not much bigger than a cigarette pack. They're dry so no liquids have to be checked ever. They're 18 Amp hours capacity.
        My Chief looks 100% stock but I'm really happy with never having to charge the lead acid batteries I used to use.

https://www.amazon.com/Shorai-Lithiu.../dp/B007B6UNV2

One of them fits into most battery shells, I fit 2 in Starklite cycle shell so I have 36 amp hours available. Been running this system on my 46 Chief since a AGM battery actually blew up 100 miles from home in 2009.
        I convert a couple Chiefs and Scouts a year to this.
        Here's the link to the regulators

http://www.splitdorfreg.com/Autolite...n/autolite.htm

Comment

Originally posted by gator1 View Post
          Hi Do Not waste your money on a full size repop battery from India They corrode at the terminals and don't last The battery from Starklite inside their shell has served me very well I had one last 5yrs

Comment

I use the re-pop batteries with reasonable success on my Chief and Four. The key I have found is to use an epoxy to seal the terminals prior to filling with acid. Also do not leave them in the bike during long storage times. Seems to work for me. I get 4-5 years from them.
            D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Working...
            X