Cast iron luggage rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast iron luggage rack

I have a question, on each end of the cast luggage rack there are 2 small threaded holes that I am not sure what they are for? I know the 2 on each side are for the saddlebag mounts but the end ones have me puzzled, any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

I've always seen reflectors used in those holes, they look good and add a measure of safety.
    AMCA # 3233

Comment

I wondered about that.

Comment

Hi,
        Reflectors were used with the 1944-45 Essential Use Chiefs, when they came with the cast iron luggage rack. Any bike that ran the cast iron rack could install the reflectors. The aluminum rack came out later around 1947-48. Those reflectors are fairly rare. Many got broken off and many were taken off and then subsequently lost. I'm not sure if the reflector was plastic or glass, but the rearward facing side had a bumpy texture and was not smooth. The photo below is from the 1944 Essential Use Chief Master Parts Catalog. In all my years, I have only seen a couple of those reflectors. In regards to the cast iron luggage rack, the Essential Use Chiefs had a rather flat topped rear fender and the rack itself was different than the rack for the skirted fender Chiefs. What exactly the difference was and how one tells one type from the other is unknown to me.

1944 Essential Use Chief parts Catalog.jpg

Comment

That is good to know, my 48 Should have the aluminum rack but I have the mounts for the saddlebags that go to it. Plus if I wanted to put a seat on top of it I could without the rack not bending under the weight.

Comment

Here is a pic of the reflectors on my cast iron rack.Reflector.jpgReflector 1.jpg

Comment

2 questions for you, what year is your bike and the second is are those originals?

Comment

The bike is a 1940 Sport Scout. The reflectors are not original to the bike. But they are genuine old reflectors. I believe they are the correct style with the raised bumps on the outside. They are plastic and the back is aluminum. The dia is about 1 5/8". There is a built in threaded post integral to the reflector. They are very hard to find. I looked through some Indian motorcycle news, and there is a good shot of the luggage rack on Louise Scherbyn's 1940 Junior Scout in the Oct/Nov 1942 edition. (Her bike is said to hold the record for times showing up in IMN). The rack is chromed, paint is custom all white by her dealer, and you can see the reflectors in the back of the luggage rack. The one on the right is bent. This is typical because they are just hanging there on the tiny stud and can easily get bent or ripped off. There is a pic on the web your can check out and zoom in on to see Louise's bike in better detail than I can probably post on the forum here: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/pi...ts-14645.html#
                Last edited by Bill Huth; 05-23-2016, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Found these pictures in the 1940 Indian Accessory catalog. Same reflectors listed in the 37 Catalog.
                  Last edited by L Burke; 05-31-2016, 08:34 PM. Reason: Sp

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

Working...
                    X