Leather preservation/maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather preservation/maintenance

What are some of the best products to use on an original 1946 Indian Chief white leather solo seat.??

Originally posted by Paultrehberg View Post
    an original 1946 Indian Chief white leather solo seat.??
    Paul, I've never seen a white seat from the factory, perhaps it was a customization done later, or at the dealership? Got a photo?

I'd hate to recommend anything for treatment/preservative... Lexol, for example, might take out the dye or surface coloring!
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

1946 Chief seat?.

Does this help?
      Attached Files

Comment

Beautifull, no matter what the judges decree, Paul!

Please avoid Neats'foot oil, as it will destroy anything that might be horsehide, commonly the binding strip.

Lexol has some, so I would suggest Leather Therapy products first.
        And they implied that they have mold inhibitors,

("Mink Oil" is fungus food!)

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Can you tell if the pan on the seat is correct for an Indian seat?.

Comment

I'm chassis-challenged, Paul!

After digging out a real pan and a repop, I decided that I couldn't do a photo that would show the difference.

Yours had to be constructed long before repops, and what the hell does "correct" mean to an enthusiast with a piece of genuine History,.. aftermarket or not?

Its admirable, and don't let anyone snivel about it. You can always bolt on a $600 repop to please them if you feel you must.

....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

It's ( seat pan) correct for 1946 anyway. They had the studs for the "covers" , scuff and trim plates. These were used on the Deluxe seats in 1946. But I'm 99% sure there was no white seats from Indian. I have a lot of factory photos and they were all brown or occasionally black.

Comment

Hi,
                Some of the seats with edge protectors have been seen on the standard solo seats for 1946. The Deluxe seat had the fringe. Some 1948 factory photos also show the solo seat with edge protectors. The latest I have seen the seats with the metal edge protectors is 1950-51 Police seats. These later seats were seen in factory Police bike advertising photos. The earliest I have seen the seat edge protectors is 1946.
                As far as protecting/treating/saving leather goes; one product to investigate is 'Leatherique'. There is information about leather and the products they sell at:
                http://www.leatherique.com/ No product can repair leather that has already ripped, but treatments can improve the survivability of leather that is still somewhat intact.

Comment

Originally posted by Paultrehberg View Post
                  Can you tell if the pan on the seat is correct for an Indian seat?.
                  Seat pan looks good to me, too... right number of air holes and the side plate studs, too.

So Paul, that is a really cool seat you've got there. Any chance you know any history, I mean I suppose a "one-off" from the factory could have happened.. you know, for someone special or for a special order? Can't tell if it has the embossed Indian logo on the top, do you see it up close?
                  Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I've been told by an someone with many, many years of restoring Indians in So. Cal. that "blonde" or light colored leather was the original color Indian seats came in. I'm not saying that this one is that color but if it is an original that is really an amazing seat you have there.
                    AMCA # 3233

Comment

Hi,
                      In the following two photos the seats do look light in color - but probably not white. The one photo is a 1946 Chief in the factory. The other photo is a line-up of newly delivered 1946 Chief Police bikes. I'm glad that somebody took those photos.
                      1946 Indian Chief in the factory.jpgA nice batch of 1946 Indian Police bikes.jpg

Comment

Cotten's already made his standard declaration damning the use of Neat's Foot Oil with a broad brush, however, I'll counter that with my statement that Pure Neat's Foot Oil is all I use on my seats and bags. I started that years ago on advice of the man who makes the tack used on the caisson horses at Arlington National Cemetery. He just builds the stuff. And reproduces saddles and tack for Civil War cavalry reenactors, "Cavsaddler." I have only praise for frequent use of Pure Neat's Foot Oil.

That's different stuff than the blend sold as "Neat's Foot Oil Compound," which CAN deteriorate horsehide. The confusion started long ago. Pure Neat's Foot Oil is not technically an oil, for that purpose. The stuff added in Neat's Foot Oil Compound contains the damnable oils. I've never had a problem with Pure Neat's Foot oil, bringing back old leather, like your seat, or as the first application to brand-new leather goods.
                        Gerry Lyons #607
                        http://www.37ul.com/
                        http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Good luck with your gambling...

....Cotten
                          AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                          X