52 Chief Stop Light Switch Wire Routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 Chief Stop Light Switch Wire Routing

The stop light switch mounts to the chain guard and on the 52's and 53's, the wire goes into a hole about an inch above the switch. My question is where does the wire go from there? Does it go inside the fender and come out through the 7/16" hole on the left side? Does the 42166 grommet used for the fender also get used for the hole in the chain guard?

Hi,
    There are early 1952 factory photos that do not show the brake light switch wiring leaving a hole in the chain guard. On those machines; the brake light switch wiring is routed like it was on 1951 Chiefs. On the later 1952 and 1953 Chiefs; there are two wiring clips spot-welded to the sheetmetal. On is on the backside of the chain guard, and the other one is on the rear fender. The purpose of the two spot-welded clips is to keep the brake light switch wiring in the middle of the final drive chain loop, and away from the chain. Late 1952-53 brake light switch wiring clip on chain guard.jpgLate 1952-53 brake light switch wiring clip on fender.JPG For more details, please contact me at baiste@sgu.edu Steven Bailey

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Hi,
        Well, I have to retract my earlier comment. In the following three photos, which are likely a 1952 Chief prototype or close to it; (from the January 1952 issue of the 'Motorcyclist') the wiring can be seen leaving the brake light switch and heading under the chain guard. Where exactly the wires went is a mystery, but that area is deadly dangerous as the drive chain is right there. Clearly, that routing was a bad idea, so Indian moved the wiring into the area above the lower run of chain. Having the wiring go through a hole in the chain guard was not the best idea either service-wise and many Police bikes have been seen with the wiring moved to the outer location - similar to the 1946 through 1951 routing. The outer location is much better for servicing the wiring. Notice that the license plate on the early 1952 Chief is a 1951 plate. Production for the 1952 Chief likely started in the Fall of 1951 or possibly closer to December of 1951. Very early 1952 Chief - likely prototype A.jpgVery early 1952 Chief - likely prototype B.jpgVery early 1952 Chief - likely prototype C.jpg

Comment

Working...
        X